French TV boss says his job "is to help sell Coca-Cola"

Col Man

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:34 pm
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040709/040709204826.sr2gxn8e0b.jpg

PARIS (AFP) - Patrick Le Lay, chairman of France's popular TF1 TV channel, says in a recently released book that the job of his private channel is "to help Coca-Cola sell its product".

"There are lots of ways of talking about television. But from a 'business' perspective, let's be realistic: basically, TF1's job is to help Coca-Cola, for example, to sell its product."

"For an advertising pitch to work, the viewer's brain needs to be receptive. Our programmes are aimed at making (the viewer) receptive: that is, entertaining and relaxing him between two messages. What we sell Coca-Cola is receptive human brain time."

Nothing is more difficult to obtain," he said. "You have to always be on the lookout for shows that work."

The quotes are contained in a book entitled "Managers facing change" in which a score of top French executives outline the state of the country's business world in view of new global challenges.

The book is prefaced by the head of the French employers' association, MEDEF, Ernest-Antoine Seilliere.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 713 • Replies: 5
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
I'm wondering if you had a point to make in posting this, or if you were seeking others' opinions?

The way I read the story is that TV must have sponsors. It is the sponsor who pays the bills and generates the profits of the TV company.

I see nothing at issue with this article. Maybe I'm just not seeing what you are.

General Tsao
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
im not really seeing anything in it to tell you the truth.....
it was just something a little different to post in the news section Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 03:35 pm
is just way i see this news section or any news for that matter is that its just news..that is its whats happening

this article made the news so i posted it on the news here in a2k

i hope that is ok with your good self Smile

im not really seeking anything from anyone apart from mutual respect love understanding and sharing the joys of being alive i always like to hear others opinions however as it takes all views to make the whole...
i just post 'diffrenet' news stories here that are not the normal sort of death kill hate horror etc
maybe some arent worth posting but it gets my post rating up Smile
thats my take on it all Wink
peace and love dude
byeeeee
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 04:11 pm
"I just post 'diffrenet' news stories here that are not the normal sort of death kill hate horror etc"

Smile

"maybe some arent worth posting but it gets my post rating up "

Smile

Points noted, and taken.

Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 04:13 pm
thank you Very Happy
0 Replies