Cleaning lady, 67, gets 294-million-dollar lottery cheque

Col Man

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:15 pm
BOSTON, United States (AFP) - A 67-year-old cleaning woman, Geraldine Williams, was handed a ceremonial cheque for 294 million dollars -- the second-largest single-ticket lottery prize in US history.

Williams, who has eight grandchildren, retired two years ago from her job as a janitor at the University of Massachusetts in Lowell, and has since supplemented her income by cleaning people's houses.

Now, she could buy them.

Williams' lawyer said she had opted to take a lump sum of 168 million dollars before taxes, rather than the other payment option which offers 11 million dollars a year over 26 years.

"I'm in disbelief, I guess. I can't believe it," Williams told reporters.

Asked what she would do with her winnings, Williams said she had always wanted to travel but never had the money.

"I'm a golfer, so I can take some lessons now," she added.

Having purchased the Mega Millions ticket at a wine store in Lowell, Williams said she had been watching television with her boyfriend a week ago when the winning numbers were read out.

"I just looked and stared at the TV and said 'Oh God, oh God'," Williams recalled. "I'm holding the ticket and I'm reading the numbers to him but he was in disbelief too.

"He says, 'You sure it's the right date?' .... We don't believe each other anyway."

Asked if her boyfriend had since proposed marriage, Williams laughed and replied "No."

The largest single-ticket lottery jackpot winner ever in North America was Jack Whitaker, of West Virginia, who won a Powerball jackpot of 314.9 million dollars on Christmas Day 2002.

Williams said she had found the past week difficult, keeping her win a secret from all but close family as she got together with lawyers and financial advisers.

"It's horrible. I don't like lying. I don't like sneaking around," she said. "I did go to the mall yesterday and try to pick up some clothes to wear. But I was just so nervous I didn't really enjoy shopping."

Williams is a former US Marine, who left the corps in the 1950s to marry her former husband.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 633 • Replies: 1
No top replies

doglover

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:21 am
Mrs. Williams is certainly deserving of the prize. I'm glad she won.
0 Replies