Cat gets "asylum" in Australia

Col Man

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:13 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia (AFP) - A ginger and white cat housed for months at an Australian-funded refugee detention centre in Papua New Guinea arrived here after a campaign by animal lovers.

Honey the stray was asylum seeker Aladdin Sisalem's only companion apart from his guards as he was held for 10 months as the sole detainee on the Manus Island camp, off the PNG coast, under Canberra's so-called Pacific solution to stem the flow of illegal immigration

The Kuwaiti-born Palestinian was granted refugee status in May but Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone was adamant that the cat was staying.

"We are in the business of bringing people here who are most in need and that does not include pets, budgies and other assorted paraphernalia," she said at the time.

Animal lovers took exception to the stance and private individuals eventually offered to meet the cost of reuniting the feline with her doting owner.

Sisalem said his first thought on learning he had been granted an Australian visa was Honey's fate and he believed "Honey is a refugee now".

He said the cat was settling in as it prepared for 60 days in quarantine.

"I will go and visit her because she's very confused about the situation here and has some stress," he said. "She's confused -- but she still loves me like before."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 487 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:29 pm
Australian citizens are generally far more compassionate than the current fascist government.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:49 pm
thank god and thank them too (the citizens that is) Wink
man im glad you think your government is fascist too Smile
yes in my travels i always found the australians friendly although they do drink a lotof alcohol like the english..
but ive watched with horror at the actions of the current government..
roll on your labo(u)r party getting back in
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:12 pm
Not a drinker myself, but yep-I may have noticed the odd beer going down. I really feel for you guys, having your labour government getting in bed with the righties. Doesn't give you a lot of choices!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:18 pm
well im not a drinker either..i do sink the odd bottle of wine now and again but i hardly drink like most of the people here who seem to be all trying to imitate fishes Wink
im not into politics either as whoever i vote for the government always gets into power Wink
joking aside its really true that our so called 'left-wing' is further to the right than some countries right wing groups.....
the only thing left for me to do is to emigrate and leave these people to suffer in their own hell..
hopefully i will be doing that in the next year or two Smile
0 Replies