Am I too young for assisted living?

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 07:11 am
I received a very nice letter from a high end assisted living facility inviting me to Join them for two weeks and only pay for one!

As they state it is perfect for when family caregivers are away. Should I respond to their resident ambassadors and see what they have to offer - They will arrange a complimentary luncheon with my visit and tour.

Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 07:42 am
@Linkat,
I'm missing something here. Are you disabled? I haven't followed your posting history enough to know about a disability.
"Assisted living as it exists today emerged in the 1990s as an eldercare alternative on the continuum of care for people, for whom independent living is not appropriate but who do not need the 24-hour medical care provided by a nursing home and are too young to live in a retirement home."
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 08:31 am
@Ragman,
No, not at all. I have children 16 and 12. I work full time, work out, run a house hold, do yard work, travel, am a mom taxi part-time....yeah perhaps sometimes I have memory lapses, but I didn't think I would need memory care at this point.

I just sent my kids off on a plane yesterday to visit relatives across the country and attend a family wedding, but I thought I was their care taker not the other way around.

Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 08:40 am
@Linkat,
Sorry, but I'm confused about the nature of the question.

Is this intended to be funny? If it is, I'm slow today.
Miller

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 09:12 am
@Linkat,
Is your brother a patient in the residence?
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:29 am
@Ragman,
Yeah - it is why the heck did get invited here? It seems like a nice place but unless I want to pull a Kramer - I think I might be just a bit young.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:31 am
@Miller,
No one I know is a resident of this place. I have no relatives currently in assisted living of any kind.

Wondering why they think I would need it. I thought of calling just for a hoot and/or arranging a visit. Wonder what they would say when I showed up for the complementary lunch. I would imagine it would be very nice. It is a very expensive facility and pretty new - in a very nice area.
Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:40 am
@Linkat,
Are you looking a loo run down or tired lately?

Seriously is just another blind mass mailing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:43 am
@Linkat,
Are you in an alumnae group of some type? I find a lot of random stuff targeted to a <cough> mature market comes to me as a result of universities I graduated from selling their lists.
Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:53 am
@ehBeth,
I got 100 junk mail ads per week for retirement and healthcare plans. I'll be 65 in Sept. They get the list from DMV. They get the age listings from license info in motor vehicle registration. The same must be true for potential candidates for assisted living membership marketers.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 11:28 am
@Ragman,
But I'm not even old enough to retire yet? Guess they are just rushing me into the grave early, just bypass retiring straight onto the nursing home.

I hope to be able to have a little fun on my own after retiring and before I need to have someone help me.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 11:30 am
@Linkat,
If you're over 50, the volume of this stuff starts to increase every couple of years. I was a bit surprised when I got my first senior discount at a pharmacy. Senior? I'm a senior? I'm not a senior, am I? a discount. Ok, I'm a senior.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 11:34 am
@ehBeth,
I am just a tab over 50 - can I get a senior discount now? Didn't know I could - how do I know when I can get a discount? I figure if I have to deal with this crap I can at least get my little discount.

Can I also order the old person's portion meals? You know the type the smaller size. Honestly, I have gone out got the kids meal (seeing she is 12 - I will order a kids meal but I eat it instead of her) while my 12 year old wolfs down an adult sized meal no problem.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 11:38 am
@Linkat,
some places have senior discounts starting at 50
some start at 55
it's worth checking them out

(edit: I'll bet chai knows all the deals Smile )

___

I can't eat an adult ice cream cone and some premium ice cream places won't sell kiddie cones to adults - so I grab one of the neighbour's kids on occasion - buy them a big cone while they order me a kiddie cone - makes us all happy.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 11:48 am
They probably sent a bulk mailing to all residents in a geographic area near them and you fall within those boundaries.

Toss it out with all the other junk mail if it doesn't apply or has no interest for you.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 02:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
I don't know it sounded good - get two weeks for the price of one at some upscale place - be like a resort but with old folks.

My husband didn't get one - it was addressed specifically to me - with the letter actually having my name on it. It wasn't to resident or to the old folk at 123 Main Street.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 03:36 pm
@Linkat,
Oh Linkat, tear it up and don't respond. You will get a ton of offers for everything from cemeteries, medi-gap insurance, then the phone calls start. I'm on the no-call list, and hardly a day goes by without someone trying t sell me solar panels, medical alert systems, home security systems, mortgage or credit card relief. Yesterday I got 5 calls from salesmen and they get pushy and ramp it up. The States Attorney's office told me these calls are outside of their jurisdiction because they originate in a foreign country. Talking to them just ramps up their persistence.

My brother-in-law died in 1987, and we still get mail for him.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 08:30 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah - it is why the heck did get invited here? It seems like a nice place but unless I want to pull a Kramer - I think I might be just a bit young.

Kramer? More like a Homer Simpson:
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 09:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
I guess I have not watched enough of the Simpsons. I guess I need to check in I had a senior moment of forgetfulness twice today. I go into work with my traveling comfy shoes and never change into the professional shoes, and now sitting in pj's bottoms that are inside out ....not sure what happened but peeps I need assistance getting dŕessed.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 02:25 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I am just a tab over 50 - can I get a senior discount now?

You are now old enough to join AARP, and, if you do that, it entitles you to all sorts of discounts and benefits in a wide variety of areas.
http://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/?intcmp=AE-HP-RR-MBCH-REDESIGN3
0 Replies