Floating Shop Thats Beaten Customs!

Col Man

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 03:49 pm
A businessman believes he has found a way to sell duty-free booze and cigarettes - he's anchored a ship 13 miles off the Cleveland coast.

Phil Berriman is selling alcohol and cigarettes from his 72ft schooner Rich Harvest.

Customers have to sail out across the North Sea but once aboard Rich Harvest can buy leading brands of cigarettes and spirits for a fraction of the mainland shop price.

The yachtsman has steered around international law and claims his scheme is perfectly legal.

"I know I am not doing anything wrong," Mr Berriman said.

"Customs are trying to make out that I could have my boat seized. They have not been able to tell me anything that I am doing wrong and they are also trying to infer that my customers are breaking the law.

"If people are prepared to come out to sea 13 miles then they are entitled to a cheap packet of cigarettes or a bottle of booze."

Mr Berriman was doing a brisk business until the bad weather took hold. He was averaging around eight customers a day and even had a night-time visit from a jet-ski rider.

The 46-year-old, of Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, sailed to Germany to buy 5,000 boxes of 200 cigarettes and 1,000 litres of spirits.

When they are sold he will make another trip to the Continent to restock.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 471 • Replies: 1
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 04:07 pm
Next time I need a smoke and a bottle of liquor I shall rent a boat for $500.00 and ...wait a minute - how are people going to get out there? Only rich people can afford to get there and they already have enough money to buy those things! What's wrong with this picture?
0 Replies