Identifying rock formations.

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 03:06 am
Hello All,

I am looking to do an educational earth science questionnaire on local island here that sits 1.2km off the Coast.

The island is located in Mudjimba, Queensland, Australia and can be seen here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Mudjimba+Island,+Queensland/@-26.6146536,153.1144277,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b937400d6b2349b:0xe3ca9f6aa37d5765

What is being asked is for the participants to answer earth science questions about a location. Please refer to this image to see the location: http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah232/MinkosDes/2015-06-28%2008.57.31.jpg_zpsgsgfxn2p.png

So far I have come up with 3 questions (areas identified by numbered boxes on image) and need help with answering them or creating others. Please note that this rock-face is directly opposite the ocean and waves do crash against it when high seas are present.

Q1: What type of rock is this?
A1: Landsborough Sandstone (190 million years old)

Q2: What do you think formed this distinct horizontal formation?
A: (I'm looking for the answer)

Q3: What do you think has formed the rock-face that you are looking at?
A3: Erosion from waves coming up off the sea.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,360 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 01:08 pm
@MinkosDes,
you seem to have two separate typs of rocks in the x section NO?yet the fold seems to run through boths. What does that mean re: deformation time.
Also, if the Landsborough lies atop the blocky rock, what does the two different types of sedimentation tell you?
Since this is for school n not a hobby, you must figure it out for yourself. Ive given you some hints an they should trip your mind store, (or else youre lost)
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
PS, if you go to the very clip you sent and visit the panorama shot, turn to the beach and look at those outcrops. They should be a dead giveaway
0 Replies

MinkosDes

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 03:29 pm
@farmerman,
Hey Farmerman,

Thanks for your help. It is not for school as that was a long time ago, lol. It is actually for a hobby called EarthCaching. Which is all about earth science.

I'll have a more in depth look at the photo and use the information you have offered. I think there to be only one type of rock and it has been weathered by where the ocean reaches. I could be wrong, and that is why I came to this forum. Not only to learn myself, though to share information with others.

Thanks,
MinkosDes.
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 03:56 pm
@MinkosDes,
Then you have at ;east two "Facies" (forms ) of he same frmation. Id do a careful review pf the Formation information and look at a well log or a ,easured cross section (Im sure some student or geologist has done this for mapping)
Good Luck.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 03:57 pm
@MinkosDes,
Then you have at ;east two "Facies" (forms ) of he same formation. Id do a careful review pf the Formation information and look at a well log or a ,measured cross section (Im sure some student or geologist has done this for mapping purposes)
Good Luck.
0 Replies