SMickey

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 11:33 pm
Today, I learned about the difference between past simple tense and present perfect tense. When translated into Korean, they appear to be practically identical, and that's why lots of Koreans, including me, find it so hard to tell them apart.

The simple past tense refers to a case which took place in the past and it has nothing to do with the present,
while the present perfect tense indicates something happened in the past and that event still affects the present, if I'm not mistaken.

Let me take this for an example.

If I said to my girlfriend, 'I loved you.', she might react like, 'What? You loved me in the past, and you can't say you still love me now?
Are you saying you don't love me any more?'

To prevent that misunderstanding from happening, it's better to say 'I've loved you.'
'cause the sentence 'I have loved you.' is a combination of 'I loved you (in the past) and 'I'm in love with you (now).', I guess.

But the problem is that I've barely heard anyone say 'I've loved you.'
Of course, I've heard quite frequently people say 'I love you.' but not 'I've loved you.'

How do you like my guess - 'I've loved you' indicates 'I loved you.' and 'I still love you' at the same time?

Sounds silly, doesn't it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 454 • Replies: 0
No top replies