What's most accurate? Mirror or a video?

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 07:23 am
So I know that when you look into a mirror it's going to be your flipped image. But can it also mess up the proportions of your face too? Because to me, I look slightly different in every mirror. Sometimes my face looks wide and my eyes close together. And sometimes it looks longer and eyes farther apart. And what confuses me more is that when I take a video of myself it looks even mor different. Personally, I really prefer the way I look in a video more than looking into the mirror. So is it safe to say that video is a mor accurate representation of how I look to others than the mirror is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,477 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 07:58 am
@CunningFox,
Possibly. Mirrors can be warped, either intentionally or just because they're not made very well.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:45 am
@CunningFox,
There are several different factors going on with optics, physic of lighting, electronics and optics.

Video is not more accurate, inherently. Mirror quality is often made cheaply and distorted.

Firstly, as was just stated, mirrors often have optical distortions. Sometimes more than one mirror in comparison might have more than a few distortions. Mainly, those distortions may not be flattering. You're just becoming aware and noticing this.

Secondly, cameras and lenses are better at capturing people depending on the focal lenths. and quality of optics. Also, as you're record your image using certain lighting, you will edit and favor the better lighting. you capture that better moment in time. Whereas a mirror captures an ever-changing lighting, angle of posing, and a moving target.

Generally, when you record with the camera, you'll edit ones that are more flattering and eliminate the less flattering.

The mirror is designed for a different much less critical purpose than a camera and lens combination.
0 Replies