Mirrors--mirrors everywhere!

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 09:59 am
We are renting a condo at the beach for a few days. There are mirrors everywhere in this place. It's kind of creeping me out. I could understand it if they all reflected the view but they don't.

At home we have three mirrors. One over each bathroom sink and one full sized mirror in the guest room.

I never really thought about how rarely I look in a mirror until bing confronted with my reflection with every turn.

What about you? Are you a heavy or light user of mirrors?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:14 am
@boomerang,
Light, and always have been. But - there is always a but - this house has funky wiring, including relative few outlets relative to my past experience, geez. Anyway, at the end of the hallway leading to the master bedroom (aka computer & art place) there is a short entry hall with poor light and no place near it with a plug. I wouldn't touch the wiring here myself for any money. Soooooooo -
I bought the right size of mirror glass at a local glass store and put it into a great ornate and heavy frame a friend gave me and set it on the alcove wall - facing a light in the regular hallway about ten feet away. That reflected light works to lighten up the Mbedrm entryway. (I took off the door as it's not used as a bedroom)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:18 am
@boomerang,
Many places...particularly vacation condos... put up mirrors to make their place look larger. Sadly it has that affect on us, too.

I live alone so I got into different habits than when I had a partner. Personally, I hadn't realized it but I haven't seen myself in a larger mirror other than one I use when shaving my face. That has been that way for more than a few years.
(cough ... cough ... muffin top...cough cough)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:10 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman's right. The main purpose of mirrors anyplace other than the bathroom or the bedroom vanity is to give the appearance of more space. They also help to provide more light by reflecting light from the sun or indoor lighting that's often placed strategically close to a mirror surface. I've frequently lived in fairly small spaces (a studio apartment, a hunting/fishing camp in the woods, etc.) and tend to rely on mirrors to make my living space seem larger. So I'm a heavy mirror user but I hardly ever look into them except for the usual morning cosmetic purposes (I have a beard now, so I don't shave, but I do keep it trimmed).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:05 am
i'm not really questioning why they did it (even though this place is big and very bright). It just made me question my relationship with mirrors.

Where I'm sitting now I can see my reflection x 4. It's unsetteling!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 02:10 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Only if you look that way instead of looking out the window or at the book you're reading.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 02:10 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Only if you look that way instead of looking out the window or at the book you're reading.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:10 pm
Re mirrors, I had to think about it, and there are 6 mirrors in my house.

We have 3 bathrooms, so one each there. Actually, each of the bathrooms we have those medicine cabinets that open outwards, so there are 2 in the small guest bathroom, 3 each in the other (wide medicine cabinets.)However, I', going to count them as 3 and not 7, since although they are on the different doors, there's essentially 1 mirror, not 3 in a bathroom. What? Confused Drunk

The 4th mirror is a full length one in the master bedroom, the 5th a mirror over the dresser in the auxiliary master bedroom, and the 6th is an oval mirror that near the front door.

I also have a hand mirror, but that's kept in a drawer, I pull it out once a day when I need to see the back of my head after I've done my hair.

I mainly look in my bathroom mirror in the morning, and do a quick check in the full length mirror before leaving the house (always looking at myself from the side). I occasionally find myself glancing in the foyer mirror.

There's never a time I can see myself in 2 mirrors at once!

Actually, when I clean the mirrors, I kinda avoid looking directly at myself. That would feel self absorbed.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:16 pm
@chai2,
Mirrors on the ceiling. The pink champagne on ice. And she said, “We are all just prisoners here of our own device..."
dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:30 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

i'm not really questioning why they did it (even though this place is big and very bright). It just made me question my relationship with mirrors.

That would drive me nuts!

I guess I'm a lightish user.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:41 pm
@dlowan,
Mirrors. Some are so cheaply made you look double the size, I must keep telling myself that or they really show the little marks on your face ..........

My first house I bought one wall was completely covered with mirror tiles in, the, bedroom... Most definately made the bedroom look bigger as it was small, most definately upset my Father who came to inspect the property with me, most definately made me laugh Wink

We do have a very large mirror in the hall way, other than that, happy with just one other in the bathroom.........................

Light.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:58 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
There are 5 mirrors in the living room. I can see myself in one of them if I'm just in the right spot. The one by the front door is obscured by many small Canadian flags on sticks that are in the planter box that is part of the mirror. The other four are set up to catch light from the back door/kitchen window and pass them down toward the front of the house. The top one is far too high for anyone to see themselves in, the left one from the middle pair is covered with photos of my bff and her family stuck into the frame around the part of the mirror I might be able to see myself in. The one on the right - I can see myself in passing, but it would be awkward to stand there and look as it's sort of in the doorway. The final one has necklaces and head/hair ornaments hanging off it. I could possibly see a reflection of a shoe in it if I crouched.

The mirrors upstairs are almost as usable Very Happy

There is a not awful mirror in the ancient medicine cabinet in the bathroom - I use it to check for spinach in my teeth and to make sure I caught all the roots when I colour my hair. There are two full-length mirrors upstairs. One is in the room I use to occasionally sew - there is a lot of fabric in there - the mirror is usable if necessary. The other full-length one is covered in fabric. There is a mirror over a chest of drawers in the bedroom - it is set up to catch light rather than to look at.

I've got a friend who complains bitterly that it is so hard to find a mirror to look at herself when she visits - she wants to check how she looks when she comes in, after eating, before going for a walk, after a walk, before she leaves. She likes mirrors. I like that they spread light - and that the antique picture frames some of them are in have nice carvings.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Mirrors on the ceiling. The pink champagne on ice. And she said, “We are all just prisoners here of our own device..."

Oops, I forgot the ceiling mirrors.

Add 8 more to my count.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:39 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

My first house I bought one wall was completely covered with mirror tiles

I lived in a rental townhouse once where the entire dining room wall was a mirror, including a mirror electric face plate.

My cat Simi was one of those animals who could see themselves in a mirror.

It was so funny, she would walk back and forth meowing at the other cat, and try to stick her her nose through the mirrored
wall socket to get to the other side.

Good thing her nose was too fat to get in very far.
boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 05:55 pm
My house has 6 glass doors (and two regular doors) and 18 big windows. I guess I've never thought about needed them to add light. I need wall space more than light in here.

When I was complaining about my reflection x 4 was early morning. The large picture window that overlooked the beach was acting as a mirror of sorts too. I honestly could not turn around without catching a glimpse of myself. As much fun as the beach was, I'm glad to be home in my non reflective house!

I do have one mirror that I forgot about -- an ancient deeply beveled thing on the coat closet door just inside the front door. It catches light from a nearby window and throws prisms all over the living room. If the door has been left ajar it is like walking into a rainbow on a sunny day.

I kind of like that mirror.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 06:08 pm
@chai2,
Carvings around mirrors are awesome, that's the one we have in the hall and chose for that reason...

Lols Chai, I can visualise that, you reminded me of a time I did have a mirrored wardrobe oh my how my cat played .....
0 Replies