Cardinal Nesting On My Patio

ImaBR

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:27 am
Hi Yall, I am new to this site, but I would like some feed back about my Cardinal that has built a nest in a spider plant hanging on my patio! We have had so much rain here around Baton Rouge that I think she was afraid her babies would drown if she built it in a bush! Anyway, how long does it take to hatch? How long before they leave the nest? And does Papa Cardinal play apart in this? I have not seen him, I thought he may feed her while she sets on the eggs, but he does not, she leaves the nest for that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,322 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:31 am
ImaBR - Welcome to A2K! Very Happy I think that you will find this article interesting!

http://birdsbybent.com/ch31-40/cardinal.html

Enjoy your birds!
0 Replies

ImaBR

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 11:08 am
My Cardinals.
Oh Thank You...Now I can enjoy them even more.
Gladys
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:37 pm
Wouldn't you like a chance to stretch while waiting for motherhood?
0 Replies

ImaBR

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:46 pm
Cardinal Nesting
Yep, But since mama, bird don't carry her babies, daddy bird could do his part and sit on them some...Don't you think? Smile or at least feed the poor dear! Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:46 pm
His color would put them at risk.
0 Replies

ImaBR

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:51 pm
Cardinal Nesting
Now this sounds like a man! ?? LOL,
I have read that the male often sits on the nest to give his lady a break, but I guess he is like some men I know....leave all the work to the woman! <Grin>
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 01:00 pm
But, he's bright red!!! It would be like a target.

"HERE ARE MY BABIES. COME EAT THEM. THEY'RE DEFENSELESS."

Mommy's colorations are perfect. Let Daddy find the food.

We have a cardinal that steals our dogfood off the deck. The NERVE! (Its the daddy.)
0 Replies

ImaBR

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 01:05 pm
cardinal
But that is my point....Mama has to go get her own food, I have not seem anything of him, But it is OK with me if it is by her! Smile Going to enjoy watching my Lady. Have a good day, I gotta go get me a cup of freshly made coffee! Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 01:17 pm
Ah-HAH!

I bet she gets around under cover of darkness--when her fabulously red husband can sit on the nest without being so conspicuous.

Check them out at 3AM some night.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 02:18 pm
You know the redder Mr. Cardinal is, the sexier the Cardinal ladies find him. The color of plumage can be influenced by diet--specifically the berries of the staghorn sumac (a common roadside tree) which evidently aren't terribly tasty since they aren't eaten until the end of winter.

Fine feathers make fine birds.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:13 pm
OMG!

I just flashed on that guy who used to eat tree bark in commercials.... NAME! Oh, what was he selling... cereal?

He was some kind of naturalist. My sister and I did impressions and actually DID roll on the floor, laughing our asses off.

GIBBONS! Euell Gibbons.

Thank you, noddy, for that weird memory.
0 Replies

ImaBR

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 02:19 pm
My Baby Cardinals Took Flight Today
I got up at 6 and I heard a lot of beeping and caring on by the Cardinal nest and I looked out and though it was barely breaking day, Mom and Dad Cardinal was busy around the nest. I knew this was the day they would try their wings. Sure enough they left, a joy to behold as the Mama and daddy (who had not helped much up to now) protected those little fellows until they got them in the tree. I was soooo worried about the squirrels as they had done their best to have a fowl dinner from time to time, but lucky us! Not a squirrel to be found today! That is so odd as they are usually 4-5 at all times in my yard. I have really enjoyed watching them, I am going to really miss them, Sad It is hard to believe that in just 11 days from hatching, they can fly away!
Gladys
0 Replies

ImaBR

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 02:20 pm
My Baby Cardinals Took Flight Today
I got up at 6 and I heard a lot of beeping and caring on by the Cardinal nest and I looked out and though it was barely breaking day, Mom and Dad Cardinal was busy around the nest. I knew this was the day they would try their wings. Sure enough they left, a joy to behold as the Mama and daddy (who had not helped much up to now) protected those little fellows until they got them in the tree. I was soooo worried about the squirrels as they had done their best to have a fowl dinner from time to time, but lucky us! Not a squirrel to be found today! That is so odd as they are usually 4-5 at all times in my yard. I have really enjoyed watching them, I am going to really miss them, Sad It is hard to believe that in just 11 days from hatching, they can fly away!
Gladys
0 Replies