ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 07:39 am
@Ragman,
I'd be apt to agree with that generally (not being any expert about it) but I looked up Nestle because I remembered some dismay going on in the news - what newspaper(s) I don't remember - when Nestle bought Perugina, the italian chocolate maker (think Baci). I've had Perugina chocolate in Perugia (a chocolate dipped baba au rhum, I think it was) and liked it, but again, no expert here, and that was, I think, before Nestle bought them.

Lots of negs about Nestle here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestlé#Products

Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's cool. I would have thought it would be in Switzerland. Maybe their HQ (Admin) and their R&D is there?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:11 am
@Ragman,
It is there. And a factory as well.
(It's done in Aaachen under their own name since 1988 - before, it was done licenced since 1935.)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:13 am
@ossobuco,
I always remember Nestle because of their bad policies and politics. I recall there being a political boycott (still ongoing) on Nestle products in the mid-'70s. Nestle had promoted (aggressively pushed) amongst the poor of South American consumers to stop breast feeding and use their baby formula instead.

Furthermore, examples of Nestle bad policies/politics: with their baby milk products in Mozambique - all product instructions are in English. 43 languages and dialects are recognized in Mozambique. Portuguese is the official language. However, only about 30% of the population can speak it.

However, I digress. There's a change in Nestlé's product line towards an addition of a niche of more premium chocolate. It's lost on me 'cause I'll never eat their products.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:22 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Why doesnt somebody take the old recipes and restart a "cadberry" chcolateering .
OR, was the reason Cadbury was sold off because nobody wanted it?

I siad exactly that at the time of the what turned out to be an acrimonious hostile takeover.
Kraft needed Cadbury far more than Cadbury needed Kraft.

Cadbury had hardly noticed the recession, and always sells well in the UK. The British always bought the main Cadbury brands, and if Kraft had kept the recipes the same and had not totally renaged on their promises to the Cadbury workforce, then we would most probably continue to buy it today.

If someone from the 'Old' Cadbury came forward and said that he/they were starting up a same recipe bar (called the Brit bar or something, with a Union Jack on the label) we would buy it by the ton.
If they promised to give 5% of sales money to Great Ormond Street kids Hospital, then we would eat it until it made us as big as your avrerage Floridian.

At that time, our overlords were happy to sell off everything British, in the mistaken belief that the new parent companies would be honorable and be benevolent to their British workforce.

Wrong.

Here's an interesting article about all this, from the dark recession days of 2009.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2009/sep/27/ruth-sunderland-kraft-cadbury-takeovers
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:58 am
@Lordyaswas,
I'd thought that you get in the UK still the 'old' Cadbury'
Quote:
The lawsuit seeks to bar imported Cadbury goods in US and has caused British expats to rebel against the American chocolatier: ‘Eating Hershey’s is like a dare’

Many Brits in America make it their business to know where they can buy their comforts from home: decent tea, biscuits (cookies), sweets (candy) – and anything made in Britain by Cadbury.
[...]
He said most of his British regulars consider Cadbury “superior” to Hershey, to put it mildly.
... ... ...
Source/full report
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 09:24 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
OR, was the reason Cadbury was sold off because nobody wanted it?

Can't help but have a dig can you FM? Check out the facts, Cadburys wasn't sold off, it was subject to a hostile takeover bid.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 10:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No, I think you slightly missed my point, Walt.

The choccy bar may taste the same (even though they've reduced the size and altered the shape), but the dastardly Kraft lied through their back teeth about their intention to keep production here and assured everyone that the future of the workforce was secure for the forseeable future.

Within weeks of the deal being done, it closed a factory, having explicitly promised before the deal that the factory was safe.

They then went through a period of trying to coerce the British public into accepting the idea of a possible new recipe Dairy Milk recipe, but soon realised, owing to the massive backlash, that this was a bit of a PR disaster to say the least, and limited the new recipe idea to bars made and sold abroad.
This meant that anyone outside the UK would be eating crap and looking at the Cadbury name, thinking "They eat this stuff in the UK?"

In a weird way, it felt as if Kraft had bent the UK over a big barrel and had given us a corporate buggering.
I avoid Kraft products whenever and wherever I can nowadays, and know many people who do the same. I purchase Dairy Milk purely because it is made by British people in Britain. I love a good boycott of deserving bastards, but refuse to put my own people on the dole because of it.

The point I was making was that if the old Cadbury crew could somehow set up a rival factory amd produce an identical product, most of the old staff would only be too happy to go and work there, and the British people would really get behind it, imo.
Not because of the taste, more the disgust towards the cavalier way that Kraft has taken one of our national institutions and treated it with utter, ruthless disdain.

I haven't tried one of the Hershey Cadbury bars, but I have tried a hershey.

It was like plastic, and the only thing it reminded me of was eating brown plasticine. Utterly and totally inferior to genuine Cadbury chocolate.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 11:47 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Within weeks of the deal being done, it closed a factory, having explicitly promised before the deal that the factory was safe.

Not only a factory, but a factory in a town that gives its name to a Bonzos album.

http://kittysneezes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Bonzo-Dog-Keynsham.jpg
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:08 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm the Urban Spaceman baby, I'm on the box,
Weeeeeeeeee love our chocs.

To the tune of.....

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:09 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Sky Arts keeps showing the reunion gig with special guests Ade Edmonson and Phil Jupitus.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:11 pm
@izzythepush,

Keynsham.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:16 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
This meant that anyone outside the UK would be eating crap and looking at the Cadbury name, thinking "They eat this stuff in the UK?"

Cadbury already used different recipes for the candy bars sold in North America. The UK Cadbury candy bars have always tasted very different from the ones sold here.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Cadburys UK do not sell candy bars, ehbeth.

You must have purchased a counterfeit. Cool
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:35 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Did it taste like brown plasticine?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:48 pm
@Lordyaswas,
We call them candy bars. Not sure where it came from, but they were already called candy bars back in the 1960's.

In the US, I think they are considered chocolate candy bars.

They are Cadbury's candy bars. I like them about as much as I like any candy bars (i.e. not at all).

Now these I do like when they're available

http://popus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Cadbury_final-300x210.jpg

Somewhere there is a photo of my uncle offering me Cadbury fingers when I was still a bonnet and bootie wearer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Can't help but have a dig can you FM?
Not really, I hve no connection to your chocolate loyalty , so your temper is lost on me.

When they fucked with Philly cheese steaks by replacing Artisinal CheezWiz with some trucked-in cheese product called Provolone I was inconsolable.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:37 pm
@farmerman,
It was a bloody dig, you were suggesting a successful company was in danger of going under. Why else would you do that?
farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Whatever, just cool down . Have a chockie and a beer. That way Youll be around to see the birth of your grandkids.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:58 pm
@izzythepush,
I've never liked Cadbury chocolates, but that happened elsewhere, too.
Quite successfully, I think, because a lot of small chocolate brands only now are becoming really good (Aldi's premium Moser Roth is a good example, made by Storck, who also produces Bendicks of Mayfair.)

1. Forums
  2. » BUTTERMILK
  3. » Page 6
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 08:31:35