ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 06:01 pm
@jespah,
Aw!! I remember Buttermilk, admittedly a little vaguely.
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 06:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Was she stuffed along with Trigger?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 06:15 pm
@farmerman,
Somehow I doubt it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I think the left over Jewihness in me loves all that kinda stuff. I dont recall whether herring was or wasnt kosher when you served it in a milk product??
If it wasnt kosher, then we were enough Slovak Catholic to eat anything that was dead enough.

Oh yeah, I think it's in the blood.

Buttermilk, herring, matzo crackers, fish roe (I never knew it was a delicacy, we just got it from gutting fish.)

When Christmas time comes, I disgust Wally with his wimpy Navajo blood by declaring "It's Christmas! Where's the herring!"

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 06:52 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
"It's Christmas! Where's the herring!"

my dad making herring salad for Christmas - that's what I miss most with the changes in life and family

I could make herring salad and take it to the retirement home. I have a feeling it won't be the same without the right bowl and people.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 06:54 pm
I grew up in Maryland without air-conditioning and summers were sometimes

suffocating. Trying to sleep, and flipping that damn feature pillow looking for the cool side. I think I was about 8 years old and my mother was rhapsodizing about summers in her childhood where they sipped cool buttermilk at he beach or in the country. She described buttermilk as such a wondrous delight that I begged her to buy some for the family. When the magical buttermilk arrived, I could barely contain my excitement. Mom poured a glass full of buttermilk and placed it in my grubby 8 year old hands. It was a hot day, I couldn't wait, I took a long swallow and spit it out. How could anything with such a wonderful name be so foul?

Now, I just use it for cooking. An old trick, if the recipe calls for buttermilk, and you don't have it, just add a teaspoon of vinegar to milk, voila, buttermilk.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 06:58 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Was she stuffed along with Trigger?

No, but the dog was stuffed, good thing for Dale that she didn't go first.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 07:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
discuss.

I love it. Ice cold, well shaken, in a thick glass.

My parents were from the south. Apparently it's a staple food down there. They gave it to me as a kid. For some reason I liked it. Still do.

It also makes great biscuits.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 07:55 pm
The only time I ever bought buttermilk was when I was following a Paula Dean recipe for friend chicken; it was dipped in buttermilk.

I only used it for the recipe them poured it down the drain to unclog the pipes.
Cool
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 08:17 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

To make buttermilk dip more palatable, do you have to dip tripe in it?

Yerk.

This.^ http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/puke.gif

I'll drink buttermilk when buttermilk drinkers start eating rotten eggs.

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 09:00 pm
A long time ago my car was totaled by someone who ran a red light.

I had groceries in my trunk, including a container of buttermilk. The other car must have made direct impact with the buttermilk.

It was August.

In Texas.

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 09:03 pm
@chai2,
For some unknown reason, my brother when he was little called buttermilk "galligabup"

No idea.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 09:04 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:

To make buttermilk dip more palatable, do you have to dip tripe in it?

Yerk.

This.^ http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/puke.gif

I'll drink buttermilk when buttermilk drinkers start eating rotten eggs.

Ya'll are crazy. It's delicious.

You eat yogurt and sour cream, don't you?

What about kefir?
Ionus

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 09:06 pm
What de hell is buttermilk ?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 09:07 pm
@chai2,
Yogurt, yes, when it has strawberries or something in it. Sour cream gets the same review from me as buttermilk. Blerg...Have no idea what kefir is. I thought it was a bad word S. Africans used during apartheid.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 09:13 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

What about kefir?

our local grocery store has brought in some kefir-based dips. stuff that would normally be made with yogurt.

they had to mark it all down to 50% off - and then returned most of it to the manufacturer (Walter, our delivery guy - and part-time stock guy, is good for dirt on products. I learned about the Barilla returns from him).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 09:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

You eat yogurt and sour cream, don't you?

you may be onto something. my yogurt-loving dad also likes buttermilk.

I use yogurt and sour cream (and buttermilk) primarily as ingredients. Not so much as things I'll eat without something else to cover the flavour. Kind of like eggs too, now that I think of it. Eggs need flavouring to make them eatable.

hmmm, that reminds me. I need more dill.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 09:43 pm
FBM

This is a brand of kefir

https://bodybelieve.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/lifeway-kefir.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH6gv330JVjLc-hgKUnaOksAEozOJXQR8jhj5MksxgkHtpUAyY

It's just ok in my opinion. Not worth the price. It tastes like a yogurt drink. I believe I tried it to see if it set with me better.

It isn't yogurt though, it's started with some other kind of fermented milk stuff.

Since I showed you the nice pretty pictures of the finished product, below is kefir starter...kefir grains they're called.

yeah. Not so much for me.

http://pad2.whstatic.com/images/thumb/b/b9/Maintain-Kefir-Grains-Step-1.jpg/670px-Maintain-Kefir-Grains-Step-1.jpg

FBM

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 10:00 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

FBM

http://pad2.whstatic.com/images/thumb/b/b9/Maintain-Kefir-Grains-Step-1.jpg/670px-Maintain-Kefir-Grains-Step-1.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 10:05 pm
@chai2,
Kefir gooodd!
Me like.
Shake yogurt real hard. Save money on kefir.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » BUTTERMILK
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:57:31