Eponyms - for a2kers

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 02:42 pm
From the Eponyms Webpage:

Eponyms

An eponym is a word derived from someone's name. For example, the sandwich is named for the Earl of Sandwich who, not wishing to be called away from a lively game of cards, bid a servant to bring him a serving of meat between two slices of bread so as, informally, to sate his hunger. Well, this site presents my personal collection of eponyms. To see the words, please visit "The List" below.

http://members.tripod.com/~foxdreamer/

Letty

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 02:52 pm
Wow! edgar. There are a bunch that I didn't know were eponyms. They didn't explain the origin of "peeping tom", though. From the guy who looked on Lady Godiva's nudity as she rode through Coventry.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:52 pm
Edgar: That's a fine list, but surely there are people here on A2K who are worthy of being eponymous as well. I'll start:

dyslexinate vt: to insert a short, pithy, but frequently obscure or confusing comment in an otherwise normal discussion.

McGentrification n: the process of turning any political thread into a discussion about Bill and/or Hillary Clinton.

Any more?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:04 pm
Bill - cause where I'm at the restaurant with the family and the waiter comes with the bill, they point at me :sad:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:34 pm
Nice idea for the thread. At the moment I don't have one to add.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:28 pm
Egger (Edgar): egg on his face.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 09:51 pm
Cravening: Rapaciously or voraciously setting upon a faulty argument.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:15 am
Letty-faire: the act of informing or enlightening others by responding to something with complete freedom.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:23 am
Ratzenhofenstrafe-To enter a thread from 30000 ft and purposely disrupt it with tongue-in-cheek, and usually absurd contributions

setantatism-a scholarly, well thought out , but prolix answer to,"do you have a watch"

cicerone impostrophe- no matter what the topic, a c impostrophe is thhe taking of an opportunity to recalla recent trip

Very Happy THIS IS AS MUCH FUN AS THAT INSULT THREAD KICKY STARTED
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:03 am
and almost as demeaning
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:09 am
cmon edgar, the above guys all have great senses of humor. Hell, its what we do here.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:16 am
farmermanify -- to boast about about tractors and cows. An attempt to inject a little "country" into threads.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:24 am
Good ones, Farmerman.

hintelearn v: to acquire new knowledge by means of following links inserted into discussion threads (from the German zu hintelernen)

occomodation n: understanding displayed by posters for the strange, unaccountable ramblings of another member who is currently trying to quit smoking.

joeverpopulation n: the condition that occurs when too many members of an online forum share the same name.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:27 am
sozobequiet The art of remaining silent when away from A2K board.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:30 am
Gautamination - bringing every point back to the sexual availablility and attractiveness of men

Cavfancying - the application of wit, music and good food for purposes other than seduction
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:41 am
joefromchicago wrote:

occomodation n: understanding displayed by posters for the strange, unaccountable ramblings of another member who is currently trying to quit smoking.
Shocked LMAO Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:38 am
bumblebeenstigation n: posting cut-and-paste articles, often with short, inflammatory comments, with the intention of raising conservative hackles.

apisa match n phrase: dialogue between two posters that quickly degenerates into an exchange of profanity-laced insults.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:51 am
eponimhs: All of the following.

synonimh: Someone logical, knowledgeable, and articulate.

antonimh: Someone illogical, ignorant, and inarticulate.

pseudonimh: Someone who seems logical and knowledgeable but turns out not to be.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:59 am
joefromchicagontism n: a belief that in all possible circumstances, faulty premises should be argued as if correct, regardless of validity.

hobitize v: to chop another member's post into so many quotes it becomes impossible to understand the original point.

bi-PolarBear n: a polite way of saying slut.

kickycan n: one who aspires to be an exceptionally sleazy Bi-PolarBear.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 11:03 am
nimh job - To do an inordinate amount of research to answer a frivolously posed argument by an interlocutor who will subsequently not pay much heed to the tedious research.
0 Replies