BIMBOISM . . . TO EXPLOIT OR NOT?

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 05:33 am
OK, here's the deal. Many studies have shown that attractive people, men or women, do better in job interviews, legal encounters, grievance or disciplinary procedures--and more than anywhere else, in advertising.

I'm asking your opinion on people who exploit that. Should women who are intelligent and attractive exploit their looks? Should intelligent men who happen to be muscular and "handsome" exploit their looks? Do you see a moral issue here?

jespah

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 05:41 am
@Setanta,
I don't think there's a reason to ugly yourself up, if that's what you're going for. Isn't there a Vonnegut story, where looks are all equalized? Beauties are required to wear masks to mar their perfection, etc. It didn't end well, as I recall.

Anyway, using or promoting your own talents and assets is what everyone does, and I don't see a problem with it, whether it's education or physical strength or an ear for music. I think it's the other end of it that's at issue - why the hell is this mattering to Hiring Managers? Having pretty people in the office is all well and good, but if the work doesn't get done, the judge in Bankruptcy Court isn't going to give a damn about your employees' washboard abs.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 05:50 am
IDK, then they'd really have a leg up on the unintelligent attractive people. I believe in equality for all.. lobotomies for all intelligent attractives!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:36 am
It's a difficult question. I am sure the shunned ones have failure in life reinforced, once they begin to figure it out. Some who are not attractive, by force of personality succeed. I don't begrudge success, but it could be spread around more liberally.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:48 am
I don't think there's anything immoral about an attractive person playing on his looks to get a job or make a sale. There's something immoral about not acknowledging that he got the job or sale due to his looks, and instead, falsely attributing his success to superior work ethic or intelligence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 03:19 pm
I was not advocating any action, i was just asking how people felt about a moral issue, if they even see a moral issue. For my part, i think it's a shame that things work this way, but railing against human nature is rather like curing the rain that falls from the sky. Someone like Stephen Hawking is evidence that the superficial things are trivialities, but it won't change human nature. As Jessalonkia points out, the judge in the bankruptcy court won't be impressed with arguments supporting the practice.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 09:10 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Should intelligent men who happen to be muscular and "handsome" exploit their looks?
Speaking as someone who fits that description to a 'T', I find that in the full light of day there can be a thin end to the wedge, and not withstanding any of what I have aforementioned, it becomes necessary to engage rather than consolidate, for there will always be problems and it behoves us to remember the Alamo, not through the Judeo-Christian tradition, but out of a fear of Mexicans, who unlike Texans, can be thought of as strong swimmers, but ..and I am drawing to a close soon...we must always move forward, never backward, move upwards, never forwards, and twirling, twirling towards freedom and the triumph of our species, for now is the hour of our discontent, though it is the best of times, it is the worst of times, and I am just a modest man from a humble background, thrown into the spotlight by your desire to have me rule the world, and when.....

Sorry, I have just been advised politicians are forbidden to have any of those qualities . Good day .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 09:39 am
@Setanta,
The world is what it is (and what it is ain't fair). Why wouldn't you exploit it?

We all have a set of traits, some we are born with, some we are given and some we work for. You use what you have, within the system, to work toward what you want.

I was not blessed with height, hair or athletic prowess. I do have the ability to solve thorny technical problems, an ever increasing set of marketable experience and the ability to sell myself. The people at my company with good hair work in sales and marketing. They have nicer offices, get to smooze more and many make more money than I. So what? I have a job I like and it doesn't help me to worry about how the world is unfair.

If someone has height, charm, good hair or nice boobs, and use these to advance themselves, I don't see the issue here. These, along intelligence or strength or creativity are just traits that can be used to advance oneself.

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 05:20 am
@maxdancona,
I am amused at us even thinking that a person, so endowed, would need anyones "permission and advice". Im sure the art of manipulation is a quickly learned thing , just like sincerity, and its aided by ones fairness of countenance.

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 06:56 am
@farmerman,
And the discreet deployment of a medium sized potato.

Nuff said.
0 Replies