Help With Psychology Question

eoguy

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:10 pm
I'm looking for some advice on a psychology question. My friend suffers from something where he's afraid of groups of people, or at least he gets nervous because he thinks everyone is looking at him. Now before you label it a phobia, I'm thinking it's more complex. In the past he has avoided going to restaurants. He's also fidgety.

The problem extends to his personal life. He thinks that people are judging him all the time, and it results in a fear of making eye contact. He'll also constantly adjust himself (clothes, hair, whatever). Generally he looks down when around even his friends. This has translated into a fear of working at a job typical of a teenager.

The result is that people consider him weak, which means that he's gained a low self-esteem. He doesn't talk about the problem very often because he says people find it funny. Most of the time he gets defensive discussing it and says he hopes he'll grow out of it, he's 19. Sometimes he'll randomly pace his house.

Does any of this sound familiar? It seems complicated to me. But if anyone can offer some answers or advice that would be great.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 30
No top replies

eoguy

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:16 pm
If users here can't answer the problem does anyone know a place online where I can look for some sort of help?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:51 pm
It sounds like social anxiety, coupled with agoraphobia. Social anxiety is actually more common than most people think, and it is VERY annoying for the person that is suffering because most people do not understand, and feel they are weak, or lazy, or jerks or sinners (the same with depression). It's similar to shyness, but accompanied by mental anguish, possibly sweating or shaking if confronted. I recommend actually talking to a psychiatrist. While a lot of people are anti-psychiatry such problems are often matters of physiology/heredity and can only be remedied by medication.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:52 pm
Sounds like social phobia.

This is best treated by cognitive/behavioural therapy - which would look at your friend's irrational beliefs and attempt to counter them, as well as gradually exposing him/her to feared situations to desensitize them.

This can be a quite crippling problem - and, if not dealt with, can become worse.

It would be best for your friend to have competent professional assessment and therapy.

There ARE lots of books - anxiety (and this is an anxiety problem AS FAR AS I CAN TELL WITHOUT A THOROUGH ASSESSMENT) is an extremely common problem - and there is lots of self-help stuff around.

I will go and do some research for yoy.

It is best treated professionally, though!!!
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:52 pm
One of my friends has social phobia. She's always worried about what people think and it got to one stage where she wouldn't go anywhere.

Medication fixed it up though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:00 pm
I would like to disagree with the two other posters.

At least here, in Australia, many psychiatrists have just the view that Scoates has - and only know to medicate. Many are unaware of the very good success rate of cognitive behavioural therapy.

For some people, medication can be a helpful adjunct to therapy (though it is important to be careful re this, since it can limit the effectiveness of therapy - where exposure and habituation to the feared situation is a key aspect of treatment).

Some may need it longer term. However, to move straight, or only, to medication is similar to masking the pain of an injury without assessing the causes, and treating the problem.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:05 pm
Well it was medication and a shrink.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:05 pm
here are some websites:

http://www.nmha.org/pbedu/anxiety/social.cfm

http://www.anxietynetwork.com/sphome.html

http://www.socialphobia.org/whatis.html

http://www.anxietynetwork.com/spmisd.html

http://dir.yahoo.com/Health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Social_Phobia/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:06 pm
Tobruk wrote:
Well it was medication and a shrink.

And - if said shrink was competent at CBT, that may have been optimum.

Sorry to be a pain about this, but this is one of my areas of real expertise, and I HATE to see people just drugged by ignorant practitioners!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:07 pm
While its not possible to be too accurate without a few sessions for diagnosis, I could throw out a few more ideas, if you like. For example, I would guess it is entirely anxiety, and not actually a phoebia. The brain releases a small amount of adrenalin for many every day activities. If the brain is not working properly it may release excessive amounts, which will wear down mental endurance (althought this usually does not affect intelligence directly) over time producing a sensativity to stress, and therefor more severe reactions to the eustress adrenalin is supposed to incite. If the problem is chemical he would probably be able to interact normally with the right prescription to counter-act this effect. In the meantime he could practice stress-relieving techniches, to trick the brain into releasing endorphins to counteract adrenalin.

Keep in mind this is just an idea. I don't know him. But it couldn't hurt to try looking up some stress-relieving techniques on the web. He could then try these out for about twenty minutes or so whenever he feels an "attack" coming on.

Could you give some more information?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:09 pm
I agree that medication is not always necessary, but there are many cases where the problem CAN NOT be fixed by therapy, as there is an actual physical problem with the body. I merely wished to stress the importance of seeing a professional, as they are more than able to distinguish the difference in most cases.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:17 pm
There are also lots of self-help books.

I know the Australian ones - but not others.

Here is the amazon page that begins the entry of their stocked books on the subject!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-4547328-0197604

The essentials of treatment are an understanding of the irrational beliefs behind the anxiety, and systematic desensitization.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:19 pm
SCoates wrote:
I agree that medication is not always necessary, but there are many cases where the problem CAN NOT be fixed by therapy, as there is an actual physical problem with the body. I merely wished to stress the importance of seeing a professional, as they are more than able to distinguish the difference in most cases.

I agree with you re the crucial importance of good assessment.

I agree that medication - if PROPERLY prescribed, by someone with an excellent understanding of treatment options - can be helpful, and may be necessary for some.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:19 pm
Dlowan, likewise I have a pet peeve with ignorant people who stress that there is nothing therapy can't solve. Smile I do, however trust that you are not ignorant on the subject, but there are two appropriate view points, I believe.

I take the opposite annoyance of you, but I have good reason.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:20 pm
The wife was in therapy for something that sounds very similar. He medicated and did little else, with no lasting improvement. (Her problems likely run back, in part, to a very dodgy childhood and neurotic parents, though -- the ol' nature v. nurture conundrum.) Granted, both of us were very pharmacologically diverse at the time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:21 pm
Here - while I treat children - I am constantly shocked by the number of their parents, with similar anxiety problems, who were put on tranquilisers 20 years ago by some damned GP, or shrink, and never educated or treated. Half the damn time, I end up treating both!!!

I mean, how can the kid improve while mum or dad are nor coping?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:26 pm
I'm also much of the mind (with no evidence to support me) that many of the apparent chemical imbalances that are observed aren't genetic in origin, but are the product of very deep conditioning. There's a nugget of truth, I think, to the old cliche that people and their dogs come to look alike; that is, I think they adopt each others mannerisms, subtle reactions to stimuli that the animal inherits sympathetically from its adoptive master.

Not that that could possibly be of any help to eoguy. Prolly belongs on your "emperor's new clothes" thread, rabbit...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:29 pm
patiodog wrote:
The wife was in therapy for something that sounds very similar. He medicated and did little else, with no lasting improvement. (Her problems likely run back, in part, to a very dodgy childhood and neurotic parents, though -- the ol' nature v. nurture conundrum.) Granted, both of us were very pharmacologically diverse at the time.

Medication, without at least education, for anxiety is, in my view, clinically incompetent.

Traumatic childhoods can have the lasting effect of lowering the threshold for neurological arousal, and poor parenting is not only traumatic in itself, but often fails to provide the right environment for the developing infant to learn self-soothing (because proper external soothing does not occur often enough).

Tricky physical/environmental stuff indeed!

Thing is, one can come at it from both ends, as it were.

Sometimes, medication allows therapy. Therapy can affect physiology.

And no - I am certainly not a "therapy fixes everything" person, Scoates. But CBT for anxiety is so well demonstrated, that neglecting it is foolish.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:30 pm
Anxiety and depression can act like acid on the brain. While removing the acid is a great start, the brain cannot always restructure itself. That is specifically what appropriate medications are designed to do. They aren't "happy drugs," they slowly rebuild what was physically broken down.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:32 pm
Re: Help With Psychology Question
eoguy wrote:
I'm looking for some advice on a psychology question. My friend suffers from something where he's afraid of groups of people, or at least he gets nervous because he thinks everyone is looking at him. Now before you label it a phobia, I'm thinking it's more complex. In the past he has avoided going to restaurants. He's also fidgety.

The problem extends to his personal life. He thinks that people are judging him all the time, and it results in a fear of making eye contact. He'll also constantly adjust himself (clothes, hair, whatever). Generally he looks down when around even his friends. This has translated into a fear of working at a job typical of a teenager.

The result is that people consider him weak, which means that he's gained a low self-esteem. He doesn't talk about the problem very often because he says people find it funny. Most of the time he gets defensive discussing it and says he hopes he'll grow out of it, he's 19. Sometimes he'll randomly pace his house.

Does any of this sound familiar? It seems complicated to me. But if anyone can offer some answers or advice that would be great.

I would call this "social anxiety" and I would add that your friend, for some reason, has a poor opinion of himself. He needs to build up his confidence and if the "social anxiety" continues, he can receive an Rx for a medication to ease his anxious feelings. Cool
0 Replies