Eric S. Nylund

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
One night a couple of years ago, I went to the book store. I was a bit discouraged, because over the preceding several months, I had tried about 25 novels in a row, none of which turned out to be good enough to read more than a few pages of. On this occasion, I selected 3 science fiction books to try that evening. The first two had to be rejected, but the third one, "Signal to Noise," by a young writer named Eric S. Nylund, was really excellent. Over the next few months I read everything he had ever written, both in and out of print.

A couple of years ago, he wrote a new novel with the rather peculiar title of "Halo: The Fall of Reach," which turned out to be about interstellar warfare. I quickly realized that this was about the last sort of book likely to be any good. Apparently Microsoft approached Nylund to write a backstory for one of their video games. Despite the nature of the task, the novel he produced was just excellent. He has just written a sequel to it, which I believe is called "Halo: First Strike." I looked on Amazon.com and 48 reviewers had given it an average rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

This writer is highly recommended for anyone who likes science fiction.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 942 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:35 am
They had William C. Dietz write the 2nd book in the Halo series, "Halo: The Flood" and it was pretty good. Nylund's 3rd volume, "Halo: First Strike" was absolutely brilliant, but I have never seen a book by him that isn't. I should add that I never play video games and specifically have never played Halo. Nylund is very reminscent of the late Roger Zelazny.
0 Replies