Science News! Read a link, add a link!

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 07:26 pm
A new telescope is in the works. It'll be a compound lens which will provide infra-red images that will far outdo Hubble imagery. The hope is to gather info on dark matter as well as producing fine-quality images of other phenomena.

It will be set at lagrange point 2 where the gravitational pull between earth and sun is equal and will pace the earth in it's orbit. This L2 is too far away to allow for human or even robotic teams to rendez-vous with it for repairs.

James Webb Space Telescope
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,208 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:30 pm
One boo-boo, and fifty million goes with it! Just kidding, littlek. Do you have any links to provide us with some background info? c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:32 pm
yep, the link is at the bottom of my post....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:39 pm
You see, I'm still a newbee. I was expecting to see "http://.......," so you fooled me! It's not nice to fool c.i. Wink
BTW, good link. But a liftoff of 2010 makes my being able to observe that pie in the sky some what tentative - if you know what I mean. LOL c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:11 pm
8 years away - no problem CI! Let's just hope you can remember that you saw it... heeheehee
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:12 pm
BTW, that shade of blue is the site default for link text. People can and do change the text color, but that color usually means a link can be found there (people can also use that color for regular text).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:17 pm
ahhhh..science links...just lovely
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:19 pm
Hiya quinn!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:27 pm
Hi ya back k! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:18 am
Astronomy tragedy! The wildfires that are taking toll on homes, wildlife, nature have taken yet another casualty:
Mt. Stromlo Observatory Destroyed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 11:00 am
Astronomers confirm the universe is full of hot air. Well, gas is a better word for it. Gas that is super hot and dates back to the earliest moments of the universe. Gas that didn't fall into galaxies and galactic components (including you and me). It makes up perhaps 80% of normal matter and scientists believe that learning more about it will lead them to a greater understanding of dark matter.

Missing Matter

"The study was led by Fabrizio Nicastro of the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and will be detailed in the Feb. 13 issue of the journal Nature."
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:34 am
The first spacecraft to make it out of our solar system is now beyond signal reach, retiring after 31 years of service.

"Pioneer 10 carries a gold plaque engraved with a message of goodwill and a map showing the Earth's location in the solar system. The spacecraft continues to coast toward the star Aldebaran in the constellation Taurus. It will take 2 million years to reach it. "

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/02/25/pioneer.10.ap/index.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:37 am
Happy trails Pioneer 10!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:51 am
I'm just wondering if the 'message of goodwill' is in English......
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:11 pm
I belive, if I remember correctly it actually in Americanized hyrogliphs

Rolling Eyes

or some stupidness like that...I think an intelligent being would get it though
<and run away probably>
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:49 pm
It was designed by Carl Sagan, so there was a bit of intelligence behind it. Nothing is americanized or anglicized. There was some controversy behind the depictions of Man and Woman of course. When the plaque was unveiled, the L.A. Times published a picture of the plaque in its first edition. Due to reader complaints, each subsequent edition eliminated progressively more of the reproductive organs of the depictions. Can't remember if puritan elements actually had any effect on the final design. I know they did on the Voyager messages, several years later.

PLAQUE

Background

Pioneer Plaque
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:26 am
I read this 2 year old link a few minutes ago, and I wonder why I have not seen a follow up of this hot gas surrounding our galactic group? Since they claim it is hot enough to emit gamma rays, would it not be more correct to call it plasma rather than gas? Also if it is radiating photons, why is it still hot after 13.7 billion years? I've heard that our sun has a million degrees corona (near vacuum) farther from the center than the photosphere, which supposedly is only 5700 degrees k. Is this a related? Both seem counter intuitive. Neil
0 Replies