Why we KNOW that the Millennials will Largely be A Failure

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 12:24 pm
Quote:
We all face obstacles in our lives and careers — and while they can make us better and stronger, they can also put us over the edge.
Turns out, the ability to get over those hurdles and persevere is the strongest sign of our ability to succeed, according to Mark Goulston, a psychiatrist, author, and former FBI hostage-negotiation trainer.

"Possessing the skill of handling obstacles well demonstrates a high level of self-reliance, good judgment, and resourcefulness," he explains. "The more proactive and resourceful you are, and the better your judgment calls and decision-making are when you're dealing with an obstacle, the greater the trust and confidence others will have in you." And where there's trust, there's success

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/psychiatrist-says-skill-best-indicator-160817749.html

" self-reliance, good judgment, and resourcefulness"...three traits rarely connected to the millennial generation. And we should add another trait that they largely lack...resilience. These kids fall apart at the drop of a hat.

I blame bad education and helicopter parenting.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 08:28 pm
I just discovered this. Fabulous!

Quote:
“It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings.”

Ann Landers
georgeob1

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 08:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
A rather sweeping generalization don't you think?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 08:46 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

A rather sweeping generalization don't you think?

Yes, But I am a big picture kinda guy. The bigger problem is that we all know that the most effective lessons are those that we learn on our own. I was a free range parent before it was a thing, I tried to keep lesson giving infrequent but of high quality.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 08:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
Attitudes and popular values do indeed change over time, and, while there are indeed some gross characteristics of broad categories of people I have consistently found that differences among individuals are far greater and usually far more determinative of behavior than broadly defined group characteristics.

That said, I am involved in the regular recruiting and hiring of recent graduate engineerrs, geologists and scientists ( mostly physics and biology), and I find myself increasingly disenchanted with the recent crop, who appear to have a better developed sense of entitlement than of achievement and responsibility. That, however, may have just as much to do with my evolving attitudes as theirs. Perceptions always involve at least two.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 09:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I find myself increasingly disenchanted with the recent crop, who appear to have a better developed sense of entitlement than of achievement and responsibility

I have found the exact same thing looking for 18-25 year olds not going to university, at least not yet. I offer great working conditions and pay for foodservice, with high potential for advancement after they learn from me, and I have a huge problem finding people who are honestly looking for a shot. They almost all know the right words, and many can keep up an act for a week or so, but after that 9 out of ten people I hire turn out to be crap. I have a great crew now, but it took three year to get there, which is 2.5 more than I expected. Another thing that blows me away is that I make expectations very clear before I hire and many times after that as well, and yet they usually act surprised at firing....as if they were not listening at all or else did not believe me. And the lack of respect happens constantly too,,,,,I just had a 21 year old female who has done some culinary school and kept saying that she never has been offered a chance.....she turned out to have no passion, few skills, little interest in learning any so I fired her after giving her a month (2 weeks longer than I should have). She went on and on about how she is great and I dont know anything. That is me, who has been in this business since 1977. It boggles the mind.,
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 11:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
BTW: Hiring university kids?

HELL. NO!

I am not a MENSA candidate, But given enough time and experience I can spot a bad idea.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 09:36 am
@hawkeye10,
Well I and my partners have learned to prefer graduates of State Universities to the likes of the Ivy League, or the Claremont Colleges in California. It sometimes appears that the merits of the high selection criterias of these institutions are often diluted badly by the subsequent experience of elitism and entitlement they appear to acquire there. There are exceptions to this, as in all things, but we have learned to put our focus elsewhere.
thack45

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 10:04 am
@georgeob1,
This is interesting. I wonder if there is any sort of trend in the fields where actual work is required. I must admit I wouldn't mind hearing that the wealthiest are snobbing themselves right out of relevance
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 10:28 am
@georgeob1,
hawkeye enjoys sweeping. In fact he has a different broom for each topic which disagrees with him. Rents out 4000 storage sheds for those alone. Brooms for moving aside responses which displease him have been assigned to 3 asteroids.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 11:39 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Well I and my partners have learned to prefer graduates of State Universities to the likes of the Ivy League, or the Claremont Colleges in California

I do best with people who have spent a good bit of time in poverty, or who are desperate to get out on their own, away from their parents. Young people who have been helicopter parented are almost always useless, the only exception are the young people who want to stop their parents from trying to run their lives...thus the desire to work for a paycheck.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 03:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
There's an old phrase of largerly American origin.... it goes ...."shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations".

I believe it has to do with both the social and economic mobility available in this country, and to the greater tendency of the priveleged offspring of parents who struggled to rise and achieve economic success andand that of the generations that follow to drift back down.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 04:09 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
priveleged offspring of parents

Let's face it, Americas youth have lived a life so far funded in large part by debt that they and their kids are expected to pay off. Their life has been a flight of fancy, and they are not a country mile from being ready to deal with reality, for the most part. As employers our task is to find and keep the exceptions to the rule. Success and failure will be determined by our ability to do so.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 04:48 pm
@georgeob1,
http://www.corpmagazine.com/special-interests/family-business/shirt-sleeves-to-shirt-sleeves-in-three-generations/

Quote:
Shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves in three generations is an American translation of a Lancashire proverb, “there’s nobbut three generations atween a clog and clog.”

Some say that Andrew Carnegie, the famed 1800s industrialist from Scotland, brought the proverb’s message to the New World.

Further investigation proves that the adage is not unique to any one country or culture.

In Italian it is “dalle stalle alle stelle alle stalle” (“from stalls to stars to stalls”). The Spanish say, “quien no lo tiene, lo hance; y quien lo tiene, lo deshance” (“who doesn’t have it, does it, and who has it, misuses it”).

Even non-western cultures, including the Chinese, have a similar proverb.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080114145024AAd1iHd

Quote:
The universal cultural proverb that says "shirtsleeves to shirt sleeves in three generations," is as old as writing itself. And when I say universal, I mean that it appears in every culture I have studied. Clogs to clogs, kimono to kimono, rice paddy to rice paddy, shirtsleeves to shirt sleeves. And it is a proverb that describes human behavior in terms of creating long-term families as failure.

The theory of the proverb is that the first generation starts off in a rice paddy, meaning two people with an affinity for one another come together and create a financial fortune. They usually do it without making significant changes to their values, customs or lifestyle. The second generation moves to the city, puts on beautiful clothes, joins the opera board, runs big organizations, and the fortune plateaus. The third generation, with no experience of work, consumes the financial fortune, and the fourth generation goes back in the rice paddy. This is the classic formulation of the shirtsleeves proverb, which is as true today as it has been throughout evolved human history.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clogs_to_clogs_in_three_generations

Quote:

(Chinese) wealth does not survive three generations
(Japanese) the third generation ruins the house
(Italian) from stables to stars to stables

there is truly nothing new under the sun
georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,
The phrase I offered is indeed the American version ... as I noted. Beyond that , and with respect to the underlying idea I offer this from Eccleistticles

"... there is nothing new under the sun..."

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 08:29 pm
@ehBeth,
@ georgeob

ehBeth wrote:

there is truly nothing new under the sun
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 08:33 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

The phrase I offered is indeed the American version ... as I noted.

<blink>

georgeob1 wrote:

There's an old phrase of largerly American origin.... it goes ...."shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations".

there is a difference between version and origin

<blink>
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why we KNOW that the Millennials will Largely be A Failure
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 05:40:57