question unanswered!! hostages to chance and to decay???

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 03:28 am
I drive by that house almost daily and have been tempted to load a shovel in my car trunk, stop at her curb and rescue a few lilies from the smothering thicket of weeds. The laws of trespass and the fact that her house sits across the street from a police station have given me the cowardice to resist temptation. But her garden has reminded me of mortality; gardeners and the gardens they make are fragile things, creatures of time, hostages to chance and to decay.
Question: fragile things, creatures of time,hostages to chance and to decay, here these expressions are hard for me to understand, will you please to give detailed explanations for me? 1000000 thanks!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,519 • Replies: 3
No top replies

layman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 05:05 am
@graham2009,
The author is just listing some of the concomitants of "mortality."

1. Fragile things: we (things in general) are not invulnerable
2. creatures of time: We (things in general) are not eternal, and do not exist independently of "time"
3. hostages to chance and to decay: If you don't die by accident, then you will due to old age, and there ain't no escape from it (you are a "hostage").
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 06:02 am
@graham2009,
gardeners and the gardens they make are fragile things Unlike something like a brick wall which will last for some time, a well kept garden needs constant maintenance otherwise the lawn will become overgrown, and weeds will flourish. That means it's fragile.

creatures of time, Gardens are affected by time, it's full of living things that if left unchecked will grow, smother some of the weaker plants and become messy. The lilies need to be rescued, because they're not as strong as the weeds which will smother and kill them over time.

hostages to chance and to decay. Normally we say hostage to fortune. In this case whether or not the garden stays pretty depends on who lives there. If the owner moves or dies, and the house is left abandoned the garden becomes overgrown, and there's always a chance that will happen.
0 Replies

graham2009

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 12:29 am
Here the mortality means human being? or means death??
0 Replies