What Crystal or Mineral is this?

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 07:19 am
http://twitter.com/After11thirty/status/598838309020798976/photo/1

Found this on our roof at work. Most of the rock is river rock, but this is way different.

I can try to get better pictures if needed, but this should do for now.

The "crystals" seem somewhat soft, but I haven't tested them on anything yet. I'd like to keep it fully intact as possible, just incase it is a prized piece.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,276 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 08:47 am
@ArsonCityBarber,
Copal, maybe?

ArsonCityBarber

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 09:47 am
@Lordyaswas,
I just did an acetone test and the substance does not get tacky, so I don't believe it is Copal. I'm in Nebraska, so I don't know how Copal would maje its way up here.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 10:35 am
@ArsonCityBarber,
Barb it sure as hell looks like quartz or if soft, calcite. However it has a suspiciously man-made appearance
ArsonCityBarber

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 11:17 am
@dalehileman,
It's not "finger-nail" soft. It has the feel of sand (silica) when small pieces come off. I do think that it is weird that the top has a smoother dome shape, but that could be just the fact that it grew inside a rock and didn't have anymore space to grow.

anyone know where i could get this tested?

I will take more pictures tonight with more angles.
ArsonCityBarber

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 11:21 am
@ArsonCityBarber,
http://twitter.com/After11thirty/status/598900426331688960/photo/1

Another picture. Same angle, different lighting.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 01:12 pm
@ArsonCityBarber,
Top appears translucent Barb, again suggesting calcite. Apply a touch of dilute acid, see if it fizzes
ArsonCityBarber

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 02:25 pm
@dalehileman,
I will try when i get back home. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back once I get the results.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 03:03 pm
@ArsonCityBarber,
Quote:
I'll report back once I get the results
Looking fwd Barb to hearing from you. Be careful if you hafta dilute it
ArsonCityBarber

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 03:20 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm an engineer and work in a medical lab. Used to acids.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 03:50 pm
@ArsonCityBarber,
ACB, there are more people here who know geology. I presume they haven't seen the thread yet.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 04:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes Oss there are. Where is everyone
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 05:10 pm
@dalehileman,
agree with dale. use acetic acid if you dont have like a 0.1N HCl.
If HCl doesnt make it fizz, its probably a flourite (I cant see the cleavages too well).
Flourite gives 2 smooth faces on cleaving while calcite gives 3 and forms a rhomboheron.
If its none of those, wet your finger, rub it on the rock, then taste it It culd be halite (Salt).

Im betting on calcite. It Is a neat specimen because its rounded it means that it was rounded by abrasion .Probably from the same stream as the other roof rocks occured. Where did they acquire the stream rocks? any idea.
This 'd make a great specimen for ferreting out the rocks "biography" for a geology class. But wed need to know from where it came.

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
If it feels as hard as quartz and is not clcite, get a flourescent (UV) light (long wave mineralight) and shine it on the rock, it could even be a bigass zircon. (But I kind of doubt it).
One step at a time

Acid first, vinegar, (no balsamic please)
ArsonCityBarber

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 05:28 pm
@farmerman,
Doesn't taste of salt. No reactipn with vinegar or HCl.

i hit it with a small screwdriver (metal blunt end) and only small fragments came off. Wanted to see if I could get a better piece to see structure. It is harder than i thought. I don't want to hit with anything harder than that. Would like to keep it in tact.

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 06:25 pm
@ArsonCityBarber,
well, no acid raction. If you take the little chunk and powder it with a hammer and then put a drop of HCl on it, lets see if it can be induced to fizz. If not, the next step is to get two gizmos.
Do you have access to geirger counter or a scintillometer? See if its got a slight radioactivity. (If it does, e can test it to see what its emitting and bck into its name).

I dont think its any kind of quartz because it seems to have a cleavage pattern from your phto.
It still could be a zircon because zircon doesnt cleave but it "slabs " out with one fracture face (like a diamond)

It also could be flourite but it appears from your description that its

too hard.
Flourite will flouresce under an ultraviolet light. Could be a clinozoisite but lets wait on that.
(
Actually, Th quickest way is to take a bit of powdered mineral or a crystal to a university geology dept and ask the tech to run it under X ray diffraction .

ArsonCityBarber

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 08:01 am
@farmerman,
I am taking this to our local university. I also have 2 possible meteorites that I am going to retrieve next weekend.

I'll post pictures of those as well.

I'll let you guys know the results on both.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 01:06 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks Farm for your support
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 01:23 pm
@ArsonCityBarber,
what kind meteorites?

I guess it always comes down to technology. Xray diffraction or EDeX (energy dispersive xray) is almost idiot proof .

so is a thin section
ArsonCityBarber

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know for sure. They are on my grandpa's land in missouri. He's selling the land, so we are getting them out of there just in case they are in fact, meteorites.

Hopefully they are the expensive kind Wink