Thank you Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 785 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 03:26 pm
You want to use "past" as it is an adjective meaning something which has already occurred The clos9ing time of the pool) . Passed is the past participle of the verb to pass, and is not used because it is not the active verb, nor does it form a part of the active verb.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 03:42 pm
Used 'passed' when 'past' is the right word is a common error, unfortunately, even among native speakers.
layman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 03:53 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I past a guy on the road today who riding a donkey--obviously living in the passed.

When you think about the meaning, "past" is just a *special* way of saying "passed," eh? There is no real difference in meaning. Time that has passed now, somehow, becomes "past."

Which word is correct here?: Things which were ahead of you, but which are now behind you, are (passed/past). Things passed, or things past?
layman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 04:21 pm
@layman,
According to this guy (who knows more than I do, even if he's wrong):

Quote:
Most of the time, passed is a verb, as described above. There are a few occasions when it can be used as a noun or an adjective, though

Adjective: It's a passed time. It's a passed car.

OK, now what?

Quote:
Past – relates to location

The word past locates something in time, and sometimes in space. It can be used as an adjective, noun, or adverb.

Adjestive: It's a past time. It's a past (location) car.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/passed-vs-past/
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 05:00 pm
@cocobrien,
Sorry, Coco, I don't mean to confuse a esl speaker. I'm not really addressing these questions about nuance to you.

The good news here is that all long as you're speaking rather than writing, no one can tell the difference (they don't know how you would spell it, and it sounds exactly the same).

In large part it "means" the same thing too, so the question becomes "what's the real difference?" But I'm raising that issue with native speakers, not you.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 05:28 pm
@layman,
not much goin on tonite huh?
layman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, slower than a year in the pen, eh, Farmer?
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:05 pm
@layman,
wha'd they get you for? Felonius Puntification?
layman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:16 pm
@farmerman,
Impersonating a person.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 07:13 am
@cocobrien,
Can't speak for Americans, but we wouldn't use either.

We used the pool after its closing time.
0 Replies

i809

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 12:50 am
@Setanta,
Wouldn't it mean: used the pool, passed its closing time, that you used it while it was open and while it was closed, both?
So, something like, you used it, then it closed (so the time of closing the pool passed), and you were still using it. Something like that, it wouldn't be grammatically correct?
0 Replies