Heavy Metal fans when did you get your start listening to it

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 11:25 am
I think that many of the bands that are aired on the radio are cookie-cutter, mindless, soulless copycats. Apparently, that's what the execs at the stations think the masses want (and they may be right). I have found that many many unsigned, unfollowed bands out there touring small clubs and such are pretty damn good. They may not have polish, but I like music on the raw side.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 12:06 pm
I listened to alot of Iron Maiden, Megadeth, little Slayer, Metallica(I know you guys say they suck, but the stuff before the Black album did NOT suck), loved Anthrax, Pantera, Helmet, some glam, Motley Crue was my favorite band.

But I've always mixed up different music types I listen to, little rap, "regular" rock n' roll, house, "chick" music, all kinds of stuff.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 12:28 pm
The first concert I ever attended was Black Sabbath, Foghat, and Head East ("SavemylifeI'mgoin'downforthelasttime").

Sabbath took the stage to the chords of "Iron Man".

I was 16, so this was 1974. Seven of us piled into my Mom's station wagon and drove 100 miles to see them in Sam Houston Coliseum. On the way home one of my "posse" threw up out the side window and it froze in a brown glaze along the side of the car.

The next morning I stumbled out to make sure I hadn't left roaches in the ashtray and there was my kid brother, standing by the Country Squire and scratching (with his fingernail) and then sniffing the dried puke.

"I know what this is! ... What is it?!?" he asked.

"Why don't you taste it and see if you recognize it?" I said.

So he did, and he still couldn't guess, so I told him. Cool

He put a little of his own retch on the side of Mom's car, and I acquired a lifetime joke.

When Van Halen released their debut album they made one of their tour stops the Texas Jam, at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas in 1980. They came on at ten o'clock in the morning, jamming "Runnin' With the Devil". First time I ever saw naked chicks at a concert. It was 100 degrees and people were passing out from the heat, so about 4 in the afternoon the DFD drove a pumper truck onto the field and just started spraying everyone. People by the dozens came outta their clothes, and then dudes started grabbing some of the girls, then the cops waded in and started busting people.

Never knew what a mosh pit was until I was too old to have fun with 'em, and never went to a Lollapolooza.

Still bang my head every now and then, mostly on accident. :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 12:40 pm
I was and still am a huge AC/DC fan. Loved Motley Crue and Thin Lizzie. Saw Black Sabbath and Nazareth and Van Halen live. Saw Ted Nugent just last summer and he's better than ever.

Yet the last concert I went to was the B52's at the Mountain Winery with 1000 other yuppies, so go figure?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 12:49 pm
I have a friend who is a huge metal fan, and is completely embarrassed to admit that he once attended a RATT concert.

I agree with Slappy regarding Metallica. Ride The Lightning to And Justice For All....very good metal, IMO. Someone loaned me a copy of The Black Album and I barfed on it. The CD with the damn orchestra I used as a frisbee.

I was always keen on Morbid Angel.

I hardly know what metal is these days. What about Disturbed? I don't know if they are considered metal, but they are angry.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 01:09 pm
Hey! I attended a Ratt concert too. ;-)

And.. oh my god.. I cant believe Gwar is on this thread. AHAHAHAHAH. I told my husband about that.. he asked where twisted sister was.!!!!!!!!
I actually LIKE disturbed. Very much. There are a few bands I like that are from this Generation Y crap. ( more like generation Y-did anyone reproduce? )

Morbid angel, Death, Sepultura, Iron Maiden, Testament, Slayer, ( chuck billy lives here in austin and is constantly at UT ) , Megadeth > Before 1992 < , Anthrax, this one is embarassing............King....diamond...... YES.. I listened to King diamond. Gimme a break! I was just a teenager!! hehehe Celtic Frost ( any punkers?) , Motorhead, of course I listened to all the pretty boy bands too... I was a teenage girl, teenage girls have no brains... !!!
If you like thrash, you should go to this site and download th stream-radio. Then choose the station Into the pitt.
NOTHING but good thrash music with a little hardcore punk and some new rock.. but nothing like St Anger : eyeroll :
http://www.live365.com/index.live
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 01:18 pm
Celtic Frost....talk about a blast from the past. The most embarrassing thing about Anthrax was their cancelling a tour to Toronto because of the SARS scare. Umm, exsqueeze me? Your name is ANTHRAX!
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 03:10 pm
Well their tour got cancelled in 2001 beacause of 9/11...then all the bad stuff with the REAL anthrax.

But they joked about changing their name and the media outlets went nuts...

But in the end the held a huge fundraiser in new york and 5 guys came out in jump suits with one word a piece.

WERE NOT CHANGNING OUR NAME...the crowd went nuts.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 04:38 pm
My first real touch with hard rock was Thin Lizzy, live in concert in Gothenburg. I was, lemme think, 15 and that was in '82. Awesome! Lotsa firsts that night for me, first live concert, first stadium concert, first loudspeaker racks that reached up to the ceiling, first--- no I didn't get laid that night...

First contact with heavy metal was when a buddy brought Iron Maiden's Live After Death album, very nice!

Then I had a buddy who was, and probably is, a real authority on metal, and one day he played a hairspray metal record and said that this group will be the number one selling rock group one day, it was BonJovi's debut album.

WAAAIIITT!!!! I just realised the Thin Lizzy experience wasn't my first hard rock thing!!! I bought KISS "Hotter Than Hell" when I was 13!!! That was my real first! How could I almost forget?

My most recent heavy metal experience was this weekend! Me and urs went to Bang Your Head 2004 , and it was great! 'xcept for Alice Cooper, arrogant SOB! Death Angel and Anthrax did the best shows that I saw, but I missed Sebastian Bach(who jumped in for White Lion), appearently 90% of his show was Skid Row stuff! All in all, a nice weekend! And next year is Lemmy and the boys coming!!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:32 pm
Alice sucked? Wassup with that?

I had Kiss albums.

What would you guys consider Boston to be? Aerosmith?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:50 pm
I saw them last week, and I couldn't believe how good they were! They sounded and looked almost exactly the same as they did 25 years ago. (My favorite band in high school, next to Kiss! I had been sick of Aerosmith for quite a while, but that sold-out show reminded me why I liked them in the first place.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:03 pm
KISS came to my hometown in 1975 and performed in the university gymnasium for about 1500 screaming fans, me and my buddy included. I joined the KISS Army that night.

My favorites changed a lot, but Deep Purple (with Ritchie Blackmore) Rush, and Styx were probably my consistent favorites through the time (late '70's, early '80's).

Yeah, Metallica before they commercialized (albums prior to "Enter Sandman") was pretty scalding.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:02 pm
My old roomate is Kiss' lighting director.....I'm going to see them w/ Poison on July 27....I'm not a huge Kiss fan, but their show is hard to beat.....
0 Replies

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:10 pm
I was offered tickets for their Boston concert in July, as a fundraiser, but I chose tickets for an August concert instead. We're raffling them off. Smile
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:15 pm
Oh yea? My friend called me earlier and asked if I wanted two free tickets to Chicago tonight...I passed.

Anyone listen to Mudvayne? I saw them last summer with Metallica, ended up getting a couple of their cd's. I dig it.
0 Replies

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:36 pm
I've seen Chicago, they're still great, Slappy, you young punk! Today's bands could do with a little more horns Smile Such a great sound... sigh.
Mudvayne is good! Somebody here mentioned them before, didn't seem too impressed. I like them, but I no longer listen to AAF, so may have missed anything newer from them.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:09 pm
We got Superjoint Ritual here next week...that'll be a good one.....club show.....
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:55 pm
Bi- sounds like a good time.
0 Replies