Heavy Metal fans when did you get your start listening to it

IAN442

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:00 pm
i'm sure that some of your more season folks have guessed i like angry music.

not a crime at all...

Since i don't smoke, never did drugs, rarely drink anything but a beer or three...where's all the stress gonna go...

Read through my posts you'll find some about me and growing up.

I found heavy metal when i was about 11 or 12...first punk bands through my sisters, then a show called Metal Shop.

Then i got some friends who let me make copies of their tapes, I got into the whole speed metal thing along with metallica and Anthrax through the late 80-and early 90's

I still listen a lot today...but the catalog has not grown but what i listen to has.

Some songs i've picked apart, could be a cool riff, the right rhythm, the vocals what have ya...

some songs i've listened to hundreds of times, just cause it fits what im doing or i got some stuff to work out in my head.

So anyone else in this crazy world out there like me....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,266 • Replies: 37
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:04 pm
;-)

Ian I think you and I are the only heavy metal fans on this forum.
Some claim to be, but they consider Load and ReLoad to be heavy metal albums...... >eyeroll<
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:09 pm
Yeah no kidding...

Go listen to What doesn't Die by Anthrax you can even watch the video from Launchcast...

Then listen to St. Anger.

Both albums came out last year nearly the same time you tell me what sounds better.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:20 pm
EEwwww I dont even want to be near metallica cd's. Let alone listen to them. Can ou BELIEVE people think that is metal?? AND they think it is good metal. I think this country is on an acid trip.
I just found a sacred reich album in my garage last week.
Good LORD they sucked!! hahaha but I listen to it anyway.
Have you found any old tapes lately?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:20 pm
excuse me...I've been into it since it started and I'm in to all kinds.......from hair metal to Bile I don't like cookie monster vocals much though.....
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:39 pm
I like some, and I have only since I got a car and was forced to listen to my kids CD's while driving with them. I know there's different types of metal and that confuses me; I am an old broad, after all!
I like Suckapunch (my son's former band; local) and Metallica, Alice in Chains, Life of Agony, some Earth Crisis, stuff like that. I missed out on all the 80s stuff, pretty much. Busy raising little ones. Smile
0 Replies

lisabee115

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:44 pm
Metallica stinks.. and they stink even worse live.

I'm not as big a metal fan as my friend IAN.. but I know the difference!
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:46 pm
I found my old Iron Maiden and Judas Priest tapes...

And Minstry, Metallica (ride the lightening) Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, and Primus...

oh yeah GWAR...

Because im Black and HUUUUUUUUUUUGE !!!!!!
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:48 pm
OH Yeah,,,I bumped to a kid with an Anthrax t-shirt this weekend.

He said they were awesome when he saw em live this winter...

Told him to keep in goin and rock on...
0 Replies

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
Okay, yeah. Megadeath and Black Sabbath! I know them!
What do you call the newer stuff, like Disturbed?
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:24 pm
I don't give it labels...still Metal.

its not until it gets fast and often incoherent that we move into Death Metal....Very Happy

But i totally love Dimmu Borgir from Norway.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:38 pm
"A lot of people say we suck, but we're immortal. We'll suck forever!!!"

-GWAR
0 Replies

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:41 pm
I liked du hast, by Rammstein, and most of the bands on the Family Values tours Fred Durst used to do.
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:47 pm
i listen to Rammstein every night...

i have a launchcast station from Yahoo you can subscribe to...

just look for dragonkeeper_68....
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
Cav....

Slaughterama -

World Biggest Hair, World's Tighest Pants
Got no Circulation and you still can't dance
Every fashion is a statement but yours is the pits
Always dressed in black looks like he's dead. Here's the art fag lyin on his death bed...

Oderus help the boy with harido there....LOL
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:21 pm
BPB - I like that description "cookie monster vocals". I was flipping through the radio this afternoon and stopped for a split second to listen to one of the million bands with that vocal type and wondered what people were calling it. I dunno what mtv calls it, but I like your phrase.

I started listening to black sabbath, ac/dc, judas priest, iron maiden, etc when I was in my teens (I also listened to acid rock. The only glam metal I really liked was motley crue and guns and roses. And I started getting into Neil Young (who I consider kind of punk rock) in college. Well after college I got into motorhead. I love motorhead.

I love finding metal bands at local venues. It's fun to see current bands doing good punk rock and heavy metal.

I've never been able to get into speed metal - too fast for my biology or something.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:32 pm
See! Littlek knows all the metal genres!
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:05 am
I don't listen to metal as much as I did when I was in high school. That's all I would listen to. I remember thinking everything else was crap. Especially hip hop. Now all I've been listening to is hip hop.

I don't know if it's just me or what, but I don't feel like metal is what it used to be. In my opinion, metal will never be as good as it was in 1986-1987.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:17 am
Well, you don't know that if you don't listen! My oldest has said that before, as well. but some of the new bands are great.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 07:01 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Well, you don't know that if you don't listen! My oldest has said that before, as well. but some of the new bands are great.

I do listen, just not as much as I used to. I've tried. I've even purchased albums by new metal artists, but just can't get into them like I did the classics. I picked up a CD by a group called Mudvayne after hearing nothing but good things about them. I listened to it maybe one time and then sold it. Same thing with Slipknot, Korn, SOAD, etc.

It just seems that the metal I've heard lately has a lack of melody and excitement that the classics had. On the otherhand, I might just be a stubborn metalhead. Laughing
0 Replies