The Thread That Runs So True

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:17 am
Cav's right, Nick. My sister has a PhD in anthropology, and I have learned a great deal from listening to her adventures and exploits.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:17 am
Sounds like fun Letty and cavfancier. But personally (and that goes more for Letty than for cavfancier because he's Canadian), does the 4th of July have a special place in your heart, does it give you a certain feeling, that you are proud to be American to give an example?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:19 am
Thanks for the support!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:24 am
Okay, I can't speak for the Americans, but I can say that the DuMaurier sponsered fireworks display 'Symphony of Fire', with contestants from all over the world in a fireworks competition, was one thing that made us proud to be Canadian, encouraging healthy competition and friendliness between the nations of the world. The displays were all set to music, chosen by the contestants, and we could see it from our apartment balcony, and listen to the music on the radio at the same time. Then, tobacco companies were ruled no longer allowed to sponser such events, and it died. I don't even smoke, but I was pissed about that. They still do fireworks on Canada Day, but it's pretty lame.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:25 am
It would seem that "support" is what we Yanks do best.

I love my country, Rick, but it does not preclude me from seeing her faults. I will say this. When my sister returned after having two or three sabbaticals in other countries, she literally got down on her knees and kissed the tarmac. She is one funny woman.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:35 am
Letty I'm getting sick and tired of Americans always apologizing for their country Laughing No need for that. Being proud of your country is not something to be ashamed off. I can imagine your sister doing that.

And cav: weren't there any other sponsors who wanted to take over from the tabacco companies? As you say it, it seems to me it is sad that such an event ends because there isn't enough money.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:36 am
Well, Cav, I do smoke and this will seem like rationalization, but when the government starts legislating personal choices under the guise of protecting the health of the public, a little bit of everyone's freedom becomes eroded. Peter Jennings had a brief news item on ABC TV, that reiterated the thing about passive smoke, like it was something new.

My dad smoked all his life around my mom, and she lived to be 93, and quite lucid right up to the end of her life. Personally, I think the pollution caused by automobiles in this country, is a far greater threat than tobacco smoke.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:40 am
Not apologizing for America, Rick. Just some of the government's policies.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:41 am
My grandmother was a passionate smoker. She died of lung cancer at the age of 57. It can go both ways I'm afraid. Personally, I think this topic is a tricky one. On the one hand, as you pointed out Letty, the government has to respect personal freedom; on the other hand, they have a responsibility to the public to keep the population healthy.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:43 am
Letty wrote:
Not apologizing for America, Rick. Just some of the government's policies.

Je m'excuse.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:43 am
Quote:
Personally, I think the pollution caused by automobiles in this country, is a far greater threat than tobacco smoke.

Personally, I think the pollution caused by the toxic mendaciousness emanating from Dubya's mouth is a far greater threat than automobile exhaust and tobacco smoke combined.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:46 am
Well, the best thing to do is never start smoking, then one may rally around the cause and feel justified. Your mom was pretty young, Rick. I know you must feel some bitterness.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:48 am
It's not that I feel bitterness, but my mom is also a passionate smoker (started when she was 16, now 44, so that is 28 years), and my sister too, and I don't want them to die of smoking. But eventually, it is their choice.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:48 am
Quote:
Personally, I think the pollution caused by automobiles in this country, is a far greater threat than tobacco smoke.

Quote:
Personally, I think the pollution caused by the toxic mendaciousness emanating from Dubya's mouth is a far greater threat than automobile exhaust and tobacco smoke combined.

And when you add the pollution coming from Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfie & Co., the threat reaches biblical proportions.

Good morning, Gus!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:50 am
My word, there's Gus on his soapbox. You're not supposed to be serious, brat. Smile
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:53 am
http://www-math.mit.edu/~mbehrens/bush.jpg

Just wanted to share this one with you all.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:55 am
Well, kids. I gots to go and do stuff. <sigh>...Good conversation and good dialogue. Hilarious picture, Rick. Love it!

Later, all.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:03 am
Bye, take care.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:20 am
Looking at some back threads, I have to add this one as a favorite.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14739
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 12:32:40