The Thread That Runs So True

Eva

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:53 pm
Oh, Letty! I understand being proud of surviving...you don't have to say "just" surviving. Sometimes that is the biggest achievement of all.

On that note, I'd say my greatest accomplishment (so far Wink) has been not just surviving, but rising above a very bad start to adulthood when no one expected me to be able to get past a set of awful circumstances. The fact that I have built a good, solid, loving life after all of that chaos is no less than a small miracle.

Oh, and as far as my favorite thread...

I don't start many threads. There are so many interesting ones here that I rarely feel the need. But of those I started, I'd have to say "Venus in Venice: The Goddess of Love's Dinner Party." What a trip that was! I remember lying awake at night laughing at some of those posts! Of those that someone else started..."Lola's Salon" and "A continuing story" (the middle part of that verrrry long thread) were my favorites.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:48 am
Letty wrote:
Rick, Try not to measure the "success" of your threads by counting the number of responses. Often the ones that I feel the best about, are those which were "true", hence the title of this one which was a book by Jesse Stuart about teaching in a backwoods community.

I know Letty. But what I like about a thread is when a real discussion appears. No joking, no nonsense, but a real discussion. In my eyes that is something that happened in the 'Being Lesbian in Chile' thread.

My strangest thread is by the way 'About YOU'.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:16 am
Good morning, Eva, Rick, and all.

I once told someone, that everyone here is a book, with the most intricate of plots. We are chameleons that change, and yet stay the same.
Some of us hover in ivory towers; some in universality; some in salons, but the most mystical thing of all is that we represent a cross section of the world.

Eva, how you have gotten through your day to day drama and still remained lovely and steadfast, is indeed what miracles are all about.

Rick, I must go back and review what you started, and then you must explain the strangeness of your thread about me.

I think that I shall do a simple little chore--make some coffee, and then return to see what else appears on this magic screen.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:21 am
Beautiful words Letty Smile

The strangeness of that thread was that it cost me 1 hour to make, while it has no real meaning. As reincarnation of suzy said: the thread was 'interesting'.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:39 am
I have to smile at that one, Rick. Interesting, huh. Well, she could have said something like, "nice piece". Now that you've piqued my interest, give me a link so that I can see the one hour of strangeness.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:41 am
Here it is Letty: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27736&highlight=
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:42 am
Oh sorry, coming right up. Here it is.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:59 am
thanks, Cav and Rick.

My word, no wonder it took you an hour, Rick. You must be a statistician. I would never have had the patience for such.

I have talked with the Canadians, (one of whom is the brilliant and provocative Cav.) Walter, of course, and have met BigDice and Urs. Then there are all the Brits. Were they included? I just gave the figures a cursory run through. nimh is your compatriot.

When you first mentioned the About You. I thought that you meant ME...<smile> Language is an interesting "put-together", is it not?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:18 am
When I got the idea for the thread I knew I had to select the A2K-members on something. I decided it would be their number of threads. Joining date would be unfair (or too long); same accounts to their location (that would be boring) or name. I decided to take thetop 150. I still have the information on my computer, only it isn't up-to-date anymore. I decided not to put all the names of the members in the thread, than it would have taken me even longer to make it!

Anyway, here are the ten from the UK:
London: Gautum, oldandknew, Steve (as 41oo); fresco from Manchester; kev from 'White Rose Yorkshire'; McTag from North-West England; dròm_et_rêve from Warwickshire (UK, I presume). Than I had two I believed they lived in the UK: hiama (Ye Olde Englande does her Location say) and Rod3, who says that he is 'overlooking St. Brides Bay'. With the help of Google I found out St. Brides Bay is in Wales, so I believe he must be British.

Letty wrote:
When you first mentioned the About You. I thought that you meant ME...<smile> Language is an interesting "put-together", is it not?

It is. And actually, it's also about you. Daytona Beach, Florida, right?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:25 am
Yes. Daytona Beach area (supposedly the world's most famous beach). I am the only one of my family(extended and immediate) to live here and not in Virginia.

I just got through perusing your contributions via your profile. Why my goodness, Rick. You're just a child. Amazing! and I see that you do have the Brits in there.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:40 am
Setanta lives in Ohio, and that brought to mind the collapse of the Silver bridge back in 1967. The jazz boys were congregating in my rec room when that horror occurred. The movie, Mothman Prophesies, was a wonderful depiction of Americana and legends about that terrible event. It's always fascinating to me, how one thought leads to another.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:46 am
Letty wrote:
You're just a child.

A child? I would rather want to call myself a pre-adult.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:46 am
Mr. Green
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:49 am
Well, of course, a pre-adult, and I like to think of myself as a post adult. lol. Are you in college?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:57 am
No, I just finished highschool. I'm in between these months, I will start at the university in September.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
ah, off on a September adventure. Let me guess. Your major will be math, I'll bet.

Oh, Lord. I just realized that Independence Day is coming up here in America. There'll be a zillion people on the beaches, and about 90% will be drunk, because they think that's what they're supposed to do. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:05 am
My major won't be math, surely not Smile It will be Antropology (and yes, I have had a lot of criticism concerning that choice).
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:07 am
Letty wrote:
I just realized that Independence Day is coming up here in America.

What are you supposed to do at Independence Day - besides getting drunk it seems.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:12 am
Independence Day is a fascinating combination of excessive booze intake and illegal fireworks. Anthropology is a noble pursuit. Duck the criticism and follow your heart.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:12 am
Smile Well, when we camped right on the ocean, we always got a real show by watching faux bombs bursting in air, the thrill of which was secondary only to watching some folks do beach ballets.

Bet someone will start a thread on The Fourth of July as celebrated only in America.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 03:08:20