Share-owning dog is Britains most 'pampered pet'

Col Man

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:41 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from General News to Human Interest Stories

Mutt of the manor Jasper the black Doberman-Labrador cross, who is worth £130,000 and travels in a stretch limo, is in line for the title of Britain's most pampered pet.

The affluent animal, who has his own stocks and shares, eats only the finest food and lives on a 1,000-acre estate, will be competing for the honour on ITV1's The Most Pampered Pets In Britain.

The high-society dog, who has mingled with the Queen's corgis, enjoys a daily menu of medium-rare sirloin steak, Dover sole and New Zealand green-lipped freshwater mussels.

He spends his days at beautiful 13th century, 13-bedroom Maunsell House in the quiet village of North Newton, near Bridgwater, Somerset, looked after by his loving owner, Sir Benjamin Slade.

Sir Benjamin said: "He's quite a dysfunctional dog. He doesn't like shooting and is not very sporty - he cannot even swim. But he is big on the social side.

"But he enjoys good food too. He likes his mussels and fish but does like the odd bit of tripe."

In 1998 Jasper became the only dog in the country to pay his own legal fees while he was at the centre of a custody battle between Sir Benjamin and former partner Fiona Aitken.

But it has not always been luxury for the high-living dog - 10 years ago he was rescued from Battersea Dogs' Home by Sir Benjamin's mother-in-law, Diana Myburgh.

Since her death in 1995, Jasper has been funded by a fortune in stocks and shares inherited from the wealthy Ramsden Brewery heiress.

Sir Benjamin said: "Diana Myburgh was my former mother-in-law. She knew my love for dogs and wanted me to care for Jasper for the rest of his days.

Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 684 • Replies: 3
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 03:11 pm
Meanwhile I'm living in a dog house and eating Alpo. It just ain't fair!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 03:14 pm
yup thats life
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:19 am
Suddenly the insult 'You dog' sound pretty complimentary.
0 Replies