Overuse of Prescription Drugs

gollum

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 01:44 pm
I read that overuse of prescription drugs is a cause premature death among poor people in the U.S.

Is this true? Why does the physician prescribe the drug?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 938 • Replies: 8
No top replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 01:58 pm
@gollum,
Thats a lot of crap! The poor in this country can't afford doctors or drugs. They die from lack of these things.
Ragman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 02:55 pm
@RABEL222,
Well, I'm sure that you've done a well-researched scientific survey on that, right? Jeez!

Seeing that you've no idea of what you're talking about, why not just STFU?!

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 03:04 pm
@gollum,
Firstly, I'm sure you've heard of some doctors who might not be so ethical who are pill-pushers. This is fortunately a small percentage of the medical population but certainly exist. Sadly, some docs will supply some patients with whatever they ask.

Secondly, prescriptions get stolen all the time and/or illegally obtained scripts are not uncommon to segments of the public who are determined to get them.

Thirdly some people, elderly and infirm, haven't the concentration to be certain they're observing proper dosage. As someone deteriorates due to various infirmities, they simply take an overdose.

Fourth, mistaken medical prescription or interaction issues with other meds - leading to either on overdose or toxicity
Lastly, doctors make mistakes and change medication dosage but sometimes fail to educate their patients with infirmities. Often times, the person who might be helping the infirm patient might not understand there was a medication change. Poof..another med overdose.
gollum

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 03:53 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman-

Thank you.

I did do a google search. I then thought it was appropriate for an able2know query. I guess I don't know the rules for appropriate queries.
Ragman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 03:53 pm
@gollum,
You're welcome.

Furthermore here is a CDC article January 13, 2012 on the topic:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6101a3.htm
RABEL222

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 03:18 pm
@Ragman,

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/harvard-medical-study-links-lack-of-insurance-to-45000
0 Replies

smithdaewon

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 11:33 pm
@gollum,
Hi Gollum,

You have raised your voice on correct topic, but think about that diseases which are only curable by the use of prescription drugs.

Yes overuse of prescription drugs are harmful too, that's why they are prescribed by any doctor.

Doc always advice the dosage before writing this type of drugs.

And moreover, as always overuse of any thing always lead to its harmful effects
0 Replies

BARBARA Smith

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 03:40 am
@gollum,
the overuse of any drug can be harmful....in case of prescription drug its overuse also has harmful effects and are very much severe so it is said to follow the doctor's recommendation how to use and how much quantity. doctor prescribe it because it is necessary for the treatment of some diseases.
0 Replies