Is it Plagiarism? Need Help!!!

js0001

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 12:17 am
Hi, guys. I am new to this forum and I need some help urgent. if I write about the same topic to be specific, "Jews in Lebanon", for two courses yet using different perspective and more importantly different words. In the already done research paper, the story is told through the eyes of jewish family fleeing lebanon during the 1970's and their lives, and in the one I plan to submit now is a powerpoint on the subject but strictly based on historical facts. To be on the safe side, is this SELF-PLAGIARISM?
Note: no online copy is or was submitted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,311 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 05:57 am
@js0001,
Ask your school what their standards are.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:07 am
@js0001,
There is no such thing as self-plagiarism. Both of the papers will contain your own original ideas. Plagiarism is stealing someone else's ideas. This not the issue.

The issue may be that one of the class has different expectations than the other... make sure you are putting in the work required by each class. You can use the same basic principles for each paper, and the same knowledge... yet have a different analysis to match the purpose of each class.

I don't believe there is any problem with this. If you really have a question, talk to your professors about their expectations.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:14 am
@maxdancona,
Damn,

I little googling shows that I am wrong. There are researchers that have gotten into trouble for plagiarizing themselves (publishing the same ideas in more than one journal) and there are schools that have self-plagiarism prohibited in their code of conduct.

Personally, I think the idea is ridiculous. Professionally I plagiarize myself all of the time. I have ideas, patterns and designs that have worked in the past, and I have no problem using them again. This is part of what makes me valuable as an engineer.

Talk to your professors.

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:33 am
@maxdancona,
I suspect the issue is that the school wants separate work done for two separate courses, rather than one set of research in a kind of 'one size fits all' mode.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:41 am
@jespah,
If "one size fits all", an the work is relevant for two separate courses, doesn't that indicate a problem in the curriculum? If you want me to do separate work in your courses, than give me separate assignments.

I think the concept of self-plagiarism is ridiculous.

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:44 am
@maxdancona,
Well, I doubt that the professors are consulting each other on the assignments that they give out.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:53 am
@jespah,
Fine, they may accidentally be covering the same material with the same assignment, but why should the students have to do the same work twice?

I was just thinking, I did the opposite of this when I was a teacher. I taught physics and I taught Space Science. These two classes covered many of the same things, for example when talking about Newton's laws and Kepler et al. I know at least a few times I gave the exact same assignment. It was applicable in both contexts and had I had a student in both classes I would have only made her only do the assignment once.

In engineering, if a student didn't reuse her work from another class in my class (and I found out about it). I would very likely mark her down for being stupid.

FBM

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:55 am
@js0001,
People publish multiple perspectives on the same topic all the time. You say you're using different words and different perspectives to approach the same topic. You'd be clear in my classes. And I say that as an instructor who is very vigilant regarding plagiariam.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 05:44 am
@js0001,
Hi js0001,
I think you should use "plagiarism checker tool".
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 06:16 am
@maxdancona,
I remember in a math test, there was a problem where the best solution by far was to apply a Laplace transform so I did so and was then refused any credit for the correct solution as the Laplace method had been taught to me in an engineering class and not that math class.

To this day many many decades later that still annoyed me.
0 Replies