How do I stop Wasps......

Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:14 pm
Hello everyone.
New to the site & I have a question. How can I keep wasps off my grass?

I live in an apartment complex in Southern California. Its in the valley so it gets quite warm. My problem is that my 2 1/2 year old daughter cannot even go outside to play in the grass & if she does, the grass is completely off limits because of the 20-30 wasps flying around in the grass area.

It usually ends up to where we have to rush her inside because they get to close for comfort (we dont know if she is alergic to bee stings yet).

There are a considerable amount of trees around in the neighbors yard and plenty of places they can nest. Problem is, I dont know exactly where those nests are and if I did, more than likely they are on our neighbors property. I believe they are after water because there is not 1 flower or anything else that I could think of that they are after. Yesterday I turned the hose on them to shoo them off & see if it possibly would keep them away for a little bit. After I was done losing the battle with the water, there was a whole lot more landing in the wet grass.

Is there any thing I can treat the grass with to make them not want to get all over it? Or maybe soething I could hang around the yard to attract them to it & not the grass? To stop the watering is not an option. Owner of the complex wants it watered every night and they automatic sprinklers handle that.

Please post up an suggestions. I am willing to try almost anything. Its summer & my daughter is sying to go out & play in our grass area.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,596 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

fresco

Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:41 pm
My British Aunt used to surround problem areas with almost used jam-jars (jelly-jars?) half full of water. The wasps were attracted to the residue, crawled down and drowned.
0 Replies

Letty

Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:00 pm
Welcome to A2K, 6sixtyfive5,

I didn't realize that wasps hovered around in the grass. Never had that problem. Now yellow jackets. Yikes!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Sat 26 Jun, 2004 04:10 pm
Are your wasps yellow jackets?

Yellow jackets are ground nesters (old animal burrows, cracks in the foundation, etc.)

Even if they are wasps/hornets there is probably a nest somewhere close.

Ask your apartment superintendent about an exterminator. After all, if the critters attack the groundskeepers, the apartment owners could have a major lawsuit.
0 Replies

Vivien

Sat 26 Jun, 2004 04:37 pm
or solitary bees? they live alone in little burrows.

I knew an elderly lady who used the jam jar thing - she put a funnel in the top so they climbed down the funnel into the air space above the jam(jelly)/water mix and couldn't fly back out. Then they drowned - rather cruel but effective.
0 Replies

kickycan

Sat 26 Jun, 2004 04:44 pm
Here's how you do it. You attack the lawn with precision air strikes for a few days, then, after this campaign of shock and awe, you send in ground troops to . . . oh wait, that's how you stir up a hornet's nest.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:55 pm
This may help

wasp catcher

This is old-fashioned, but it REALLY does work and you don't have to worry about pesticides around your little one.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:59 pm
dishes with anything sweet placed away from the play area will work, too. It sounds like yellow jackets. They are nasty this time of year.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:01 pm
kickycan wrote:
Here's how you do it. You attack the lawn with precision air strikes for a few days, then, after this campaign of shock and awe, you send in ground troops to . . . oh wait, that's how you stir up a hornet's nest

Good one, kicky! I would post one of those laughing emoticons but I don't really feel up to it right now.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:03 pm
Noddy is correct, by the way. Their nest is somewhere in the lawn.
0 Replies

panzade

Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:19 pm
Laughing
I let Gusty borrow one of my emoticons
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:57 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Noddy is correct, by the way. Their nest is somewhere in the lawn.

Gustavratzenhofer<geez, make this easier to spell why don't 'cha--LOL>

I think you are correct. If they are truly WASPS or HORNETS and not just what's known as 'sugar bees' or 'sugar wasps', you do need to find the nest in the ground and route them out. One located, it's a douse, and drenching of kerosene and burn to kill them all. If you are not familiar with how to do this, get someone who knows how. Do NOT try to do this yourself.

Please take care.
0 Replies