Dog Housebreaking Problem

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:17 am
I have a shelter dog that I have had almost for a year. She is approximately 3 years old. I have crate trained her, but I still have problems with her peeing in the house and it infuriates me. Tonight I had her outside to go potty, and then came in and worked on the computer for an hour and then took her outside before I went to bed. I came in and started to lay down (I sleep on the floor in front of the t.v.) only to lay in a pool of pee! To me there was NO excuse for this! I am in the same room with her! She had just been out an hour earlier! Why does she not get my attention to tell me she needs to go out? My other dog will nose me and then go to the door and keep repeating this until I let him out. After a year, I would think this problem would be over. I crate her and supervise her, but in only an hour after just being out, I did not expect her to go again. How do you teach a dog to tell you? I didn't teach my first dog--he just knew how to communicate his needs.

Deb T.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,241 • Replies: 6
No top replies

lisabee115

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:12 am
First off - take her to the vet and make sure she doesn't have a bladder infection. If all is clear, then what I suggest doing for a while is keeping her in the crate until you are ready to take her outside. Try to keep an even pattern/time shedule, as well. When she goes to the bathroom outside, reward her... make her feel like the best dog in the world. If she goes in the house, scold her and take her outside. It's very important that you do it immediately or else she'll have no idea what you're yelling at her about. Even though she has already peed in the house and probably won't pee again outside, she will still get the hint. After a while of keeping a good schedule, her internal clock will know you're about to let her out. She'll start to send you signals about wanting to go out - because she'll know it's time. I crate trained my dog, but she sleeps with me at night. Like clockwork, she wakes me up at the same time everyday, even weekends. Rolling Eyes She knows when her pee-time is, LOL.

I hope it all works out.. be patient!! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:28 am
I was thinking a bladder problem as well, so a trip to the vet sounds like a good idea.

Good luck.
0 Replies

fierhund4

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:37 am
Housebreaking Problem
I though about a bladder infection also. I will get that checked out. But what I did this morning was when I let her out of her crate, I went and sat down on the couch and pretended to read a book. She ran to the door and stood for a short while. Then she went back to her crate. I called her to come to me, but then looked right back at my book. She came over to me and touched me with her nose and I looked up and asked, "What do you want? Do you need to go potty--outside?" She whirled and ran to the door. I praised her and let her out and she went to her place and pottied. I decided I will do this everytime I let her out of her crate, until she learns how to get my attention since I might not notice standing at the door. We do have a set schedule, so the fact she had a mistake (or on purpose?) within an hour of being out might signal a bladder infection. But she used to get so busy playing and then spontaneously squat without giving it a thought (she used to have no problem with dirtying herself in her crate which hinted at her not having been kept clean). She got over that. This is the first mistake in a while so I will definitely check out the bladder thing. I gave it a lot of thought and decided to also try this training method to teach her to communicate with me. Thanks for your responses. Crate training and scheduling is definitely the way to go.

Deb Thompson
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:23 am
Sounds like you might be on to something. Good luck with everything and please let us know how it all goes.

Welcome to A2K by the way :-D
0 Replies

lisabee115

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 02:14 pm
How is the doggy doing? Smile
0 Replies

holister hottie

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
i'm not sure if this works but my riend sorta had a problem like that. she baught some spray stuff that made the dog want to go to the bathroom in the spot you spray it and some spray that made it not want to go to the bathroom there. if you fuigre out where to spray it than that might work. or you could hire a trainer to talk to ( a dog trainer), also i have 2 dogs and one of our dogs still has that problem alot of the time it is because she is scared or just cant hold it i dunno but our trianer told us that you should only get mad a yell at the dog if you catch her going to the bathroom on the sceen yell at her and tell her it was wrong then put her out side. hope i helped
0 Replies