So how many galaxies out their are ours?

Tobruk

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:43 pm
This comes from "Throw a ball hard enough in one direction and it will come back around and hit you in the back of the head." meaning that the universe could be bent back around on itself due to gravity.

This could mean that if the universe was old enough and/or the universe small enough then some or many of the galaxies we've observed are actually the milky way and other galaxies could be duplicates of themselves as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 992 • Replies: 12
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
perhaps a more rigorous description of what, exactly you mean, and evidence to back up such claims might be of use if you want to convince anyone!
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:44 pm
I thought it was pretty easy to understand myself.

The universe could be bent back upon itself due to gravity. There is no edge, that kind of thing.

Think about walking around the surface of the Earth. There is no edge but the Earth is finite. You could walk around the equator forever and never reach an edge (the oceans don't count). If you took long enough you'd never reach a place you recognised (due to plate tectonics, etc) and so would think that you weren't back to where you started.

Could the same be true for space? When you look out into the universe we see many galaxies. Some could be our very own, billions of years ago. We wouldn't recognise them as the Milky Way because the Milky Way would've changed greatly in that time.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:41 pm
Tobruk wrote:

The universe could be bent back upon itself due to gravity. There is no edge, that kind of thing.

Sounds like your 'science' is a bit 'edgy', to me; are you talking about the curvature of space/time?

Tobruk wrote:
Think about walking around the surface of the Earth. There is no edge but the Earth is finite. You could walk around the equator forever and never reach an edge (the oceans don't count). If you took long enough you'd never reach a place you recognised (due to plate tectonics, etc) and so would think that you weren't back to where you started.

Could the same be true for space? When you look out into the universe we see many galaxies. Some could be our very own, billions of years ago. We wouldn't recognise them as the Milky Way because the Milky Way would've changed greatly in that time.

A trip around the equator of our planet which is 4/5ths water; and "the oceans don't count"? And the motion of the continental plates which takes millions of years will effect the trip? That's moving pretty slowly!
Looks like Drake and Magellan, and their ilk, must have been brilliant navigators to circumnavigate a mobius planet!

Please, where do you get these ideas from?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:10 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Tobruk wrote:

Sounds like your 'science' is a bit 'edgy', to me; are you talking about the curvature of space/time?

Tobruk wrote:

A trip around the equator of our planet which is 4/5ths water; and "the oceans don't count"? And the motion of the continental plates which takes millions of years will effect the trip? That's moving pretty slowly!
Looks like Drake and Magellan, and their ilk, must have been brilliant navigators to circumnavigate a mobius planet!

Please, where do you get these ideas from?
Rolling Eyes

I said slowly because obviously light wouldn't travel around the universe in 24 hours. Rolling Eyes It's called an analogy numbnuts. Laughing And I never said the plate tectonics would effect the trip, I said they would change what the land would look like. The same way that if we looked out and saw a galaxy 5 billion light years away that was ours, from the light travelling around the curviture of space then we wouldn't recognise it. It would look too different from what our galaxy looks like today. New stars being born, old ones dying. Same would go for all galaxies.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:14 pm
must be something in those 'yellow bricks'! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:46 pm
The universe is too big for what you are describing to occur Tobruk.

From "A Brief History of Time";

Quote:
The idea that one could go right round the universe and end up where one started
makes good science fiction, but it doesn't have much practical significance,
because it can be shown that the universe would recollapse to zero size before
one could get round. You would need to travel faster than light in order to end
up where you started before the universe came to an end - and that is not
allowed!
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:17 pm
Theories have changed since Hawkings wrote that book. Not all of it is gospel anymore.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:29 pm
"Things have changed", and therefor Hawkings is incorrect. Smile
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:31 pm
Have never taken it as gospel and certainly didn't present it as gospel.

Just trying to illustrate the point.

The only way it's possible is if the the universe is MUCH older and MUCH smaller than we currently think it is.

Interesting idea though.

Cheers.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:14 am
Adrian wrote:
Have never taken it as gospel and certainly didn't present it as gospel.

Just trying to illustrate the point.

The only way it's possible is if the the universe is MUCH older and MUCH smaller than we currently think it is.

Interesting idea though.

Cheers.

Over the years reading up on astronomy I have come across many who think the universe is smaller than thought.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:10 am
just one galaxy is ours Smile and thats the milky way Smile
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:55 am
If there is enough matter in the cosmos, and it is unknown whether there is, then spacetime is, as you say, closed, and, in principle, if you continued far enough, you would return to your point of origin. However, the distance involved would be much greater than the few billion light years we can see with our telescopes.
0 Replies