What is your opinion on the Superstring theory?

cavfancier

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:19 am
While completely off topic here, I think I may need to start a thread about professor tales of the strange but true.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:42 pm
Half of what I think I know, I learned in forums like able2know Is anyone impressed with my credentials? Neil
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
mithie wrote:
Regarding the "superstring theory":

It seems to me that the theory it fit to the data, not the other way around.

This is an odd statement. Theories explain available data, that is why they change. New observations (data) become available.

You never fit your data to your theory, if that were the way it worked than the "scientific" creationists have it right and all reputable researchers regard that as a classic example of a pseudo science.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 12:57 am
Hi, thanx for the replies. Truth is I don't know much on the subject, so I'm here to find out what you guys think of it and hopefully learn something new. Superstring sounds pretty interesting at first glance, and some have already begun calling it the "theory of everything."

Quote:
I'll start regarding links, and see what Ray comes up with too. Bo has a good idea, string theory being somewhat different depending on who you talk to:

From this site: http://superstringtheory.com/basics/basic5.html ,
it seems as if there are 5 different superstring theories, but they're also saying that it might just be different ways of looking at the same concept. They're calling this "the second string revolution".

Quote:
Its too incomplete to judge yet- it can barely make any predictictions - so it can't be tested. Its still just working out the topology rather than the characteristics of its view of the Universe so far. It does allow for Hidden dimensions (alah M-Theory) and s-particles - so this may be indirectly test and verified on the Large Haldron Collider at CERN around 2007 - so for the moment its just stay tuned!

How will they find out if the strings exist? By detecting supersymmetry?

Quote:
Another similarity is that their promises have been around for a while, and the "good results" are gonna come "any-time-now"

Not too enthusiastic? Laughing

It kinda does seem like a conceptual trick, but hey it could probably work.
The first string theory didn't quite work, and there were a lot more dimensions which was problematic, but this one might hold up to its promises.
Now we'll just have to wait for the "third string revolution". :wink:
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:07 am
I dont know why you dont understand? It is a simple question and oviously you need an answer! Thwe public isnt recruitying the theory for 1 estimated summary and that is all ! The scientists of yesteryear know the correct answers but arnt willing to participate withiin the posibilities of nature. Plz pm me if you need it be explained!!!
0 Replies

Cheeki-Bri

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:10 am
I TOTALLY AGREE

(i dont have a clue what your talking about)
0 Replies