Im worried about my canary

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:57 pm
I tried posting this question once before... got no answer.. Im going to try again because I am still concerned and I cant find anything on the internet about it.

I have a canary who is about 2 years old. Physically, he is in perfect shape. Eats a great diet. (fresh veggies daily, bottled water ONLY , large seed mixture, grit, cuttle bone, millett seed , melon slices daily etc..)
Vitamin drops in his water every day. Great size cage. He grooms himself every day , but, it seems that every time I see him, he is eating one of his feathers???
He doesnt have any bald spots like he is plucking themout in huge numbers . I am willing to bet the ones he is eating are naturally falling out with out his help. But, why is he eating them? Is this normal for canaries? Should I be worried? Is this indicitave of a sickness in birds?

Help...... Im worried about my bird.
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,982 • Replies: 13
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:14 pm
. .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:27 pm
Sorry, shewolfnm, if I had the answer I'd share it with you, but I know nothing about canaries. Just wanted to say good luck with finding a solution. Smile Have you asked your vet?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:47 am
yeah, i asked a vet and he said he never heard of it????
Made me question my vet. heheh
Someone said last time I posted this that it was possibly boredom.
I wonder if that is the case? Poor bird! I hope he isnt bored.
I have let him out to fly more since then hoping that if he is bored, that would help..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:00 am
Is it possible your canary is eating other birds? Maybe you always walk in right when he's finished another one and the only thing left is a feather.

Try running a hidden camera.

I'm willing to wager your canary is eating other birds
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:13 am
AHAHAHAH!! damn carnivore bird!
Explains why he was hacking up a hairball the other day?
There has been a strange amount of local cats gone missing these days..... hmmmm.....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:26 am
Does he actually eat them or just chew on them? I have a parakeet and a cockatiel and they both lose lots of feathers. The more creative birds will play with the lost feathers for something to do.

Every bird has its own personality. The cockatiel I have now is a complete idiot and pain in the butt compared to the one we had previously (which we lost, unfortunately).
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:29 pm
Your bird is maybe a psycho?
The cannibal theory is good too.
Sorry I can't be more helpful Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:58 pm
He does 'chew ' on them.. I guess I should check the feathers to see if he is actually eating them.....

no, I am looking at one now.. just chewing on them. But he has completely shredded it up...
Maybe it IS boredom?
I wouldnt be surprised if he was psycho... he is MY BIRD! hahahahah
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:59 pm
My point exactly Twisted Evil heh heh
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 02:01 pm
My bird is staring at me.....

maybe he is contemplating eating me...

>gasp<

""Psycho canary eats Indian woman"" will be the story on 20/20 tomorrow... hehehe
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 08:21 pm
It sounds like your canary is just bored and finds these feathers an interesting toy to mangle. From what you say about his diet he sounds like he is just fine. Do you have any toys in the cage? Something bright and chewable would keep him occupied.
0 Replies

bridgetondude

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 01:42 pm
We also have a Canary that eats feathers. For the most part it is the small, fuzzy, type feather. He picks it up, then takes it to the water tube, dips it in water, and then swallows the feather.

He likes to take the longer, wing type feathers, and carry them in his beak. I don't think, and have not seen him, eat one of these feathers.

When we see the big feather in his beak, we make a little excitement and he drops the feather, which we pick up and throw away.

This seems to happening only during molting season, whcih is now.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 04:30 pm
My bird has toys in his cage. he also has the ' bird rope ' that they shred? He is not doing it so much anymore as I have started placing his cage outside every now and then. he really gets excited watching the other birds and will take a 'bath' almost twice a day now.
I guess the feathers may just be a way of making new toys for himself?
0 Replies