Another way to say "I understand a little Japanese"

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 07:45 am
The language program I listen to when learning Japanese (Radio Lingua, one minute Japanese) said that the way to say "I understand a little Japanese" would sound like "Watashi wa nihongo ga chotto wakarimas". Being pretty visual, I wanted to see this in Hiragana. No pages I looked at, though, had this as a proper way to say "I understand a little Japanese". After further research, I attempted to put this together in Hiragana. I think it would look something like this: 私は 日本語が ちょっと わかります. But, total beginner here, I probably have no idea! I was wondering if this could be used, and if so, is that the correct Hiragana? I thought it made sense, with "watashi wa" meaning I, "Nihongo ga" meaning Japanese, "chotto" being a very informal little, and "Wakarimas" meaning understand. But on google translate, it translates to "I find little is Japanese", not what I was hoping. Once again, I could be totally misinformed since this was all self taught! Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 21,619 • Replies: 1
No top replies

pennie

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:50 pm
@SavageBerta,
Hello

Yes, your hiragana is correct, and the translation is also correct but is written in an informal way due to the use of the word "chotto". The formal way of saying it is "Watashi wa nihongo ga sukoshi wakarimasu (don't forget to add the u after wakarimas) " 私は日本語がすこしわかります.or 私は日本語が少し分かります (written with kanji).
0 Replies