Know Germany? Biberach an der Riss?

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 08:30 am
Hubby and I have started planning our first trip abroad, and wanted to do a little geneology up close and personal.

We've traced the first guy in my husband's line to have emigrated to the US circa 1600's from Palatinate. I was looking around the town names, and in a neighboring 'state' found the town Biberach an der Riss.

Without being too specific, Riss is very close to hubby's surname.

Does anyone know if the name of the town has a translation to English?

Has anyone been to this place?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,946 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:05 pm
Well, I've been there - but I don't suppose that it will give any great help:
a) it was more than 40 years ago, as a child and just for one night
b) Biberach is situated in Würtenberg/Suabia and not in Palentine.

'Riss' is the name of a river. Biberach is the name of the nobility, who sold in 1170 their land to Emperor Frederick Barbaroosa, who founded the town a couple of years later there. (The Riss definately has no connection to Palentine - it flows into the Lake Constance.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:09 pm
Walter Hinteler--

I thank you for the little bit you shared.
I knew Biberach an der Riss was neighboring Palatinate. I thought the family could've started in one place and migrated a bit before leaving the continent.

I've been scouting on the net.

Your info on the origin of the name Biberach was completely new to me and much appreciated!

Again, thanks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:30 pm
Although Biberach is situated in state (Baden-Würtenberg), which is now neighbouring Rhineland-Palentine, there are about 300 km between them .... and in 1600 a couple of different states.

BTW: are you sure about 1600? Then your husband's anchestors were perhaps some explorers, which should easily be traced! (The first notable immigration from Paletine started after the War of the Grand Alliance [1689-1697] - this site could promoite further information: http://www.genealogy.org/~palam/palatinate.htm )
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 05:01 pm
Hi Goth, sorry that it took so long to see this post...

Me and urs53 live only like 60mls away from Biberach, ergo, it would take us less than an hour to get there... ahem... how about an european gathering? We'd love to meet fellow a2k'ers!
0 Replies