Mobile phone in Canada

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:25 am
Hi

I'm about to go to Canada and stay there for quite some time.
I recently asked myself what mobile phone operators there are in Canada, what my options are in regards to services (pre-paid cards, contract, etc.), and what your suggestions are concerning availability and quality of service.

So I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some thoughts on what operators there are and what your personal experiences and suggestions are.

Thanks a lot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,237 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:26 pm
It's a fairly competitive market, thehamster. Perhaps a bit different to the European market, in that we're a bit newer on the phone card side.

Would you be here long enough to take advantage of a 3+ month contract? The prices definitely improve with time. Bell Canada/Sympatico and Rogers/Cantel are two of the larger providers in central Canada.

Any other Canajuns with cell phones and ideas?
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:12 am
Thanks for your suggestions.
I went through some of their offers, but I think I decided to wait and see what carriers are going to be available in Winnipeg (the place I'm gonna stay for some years) - mainly because I don't know what companies actually do offer their service in that area.
But from what I could see on those websites a prepaid service would be the best thing for me. That's what I'm used to here and I guess I should stick to it some more time.
Do you know if there are some good deals on prepaid services and mobile phone sets? Here in Europe I was able to get myself a prepaid SIM card and a Siemens phone for roughly 50 bucks. Are these things also available in mapleland or should I get a handset via ebay for the better deal?
0 Replies