Flying flags at half mast.

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:26 pm
Ok, so when Regan died the buildings around me in downtown San Diego all lowered their US flags to half mast and left the others (most notably the California flag) at its usual position.

So I figured that was a standard of sorts and for a few days it looked to be.

Then one building lowered their California flag to half mast and the next day all the surrounding buildings did as well.

So what's the deal? Is there some sort of policy or standard for that kind of thing?

It seems like the buildings had some confusion of their own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,266 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:28 pm
This thread may shed some light (and a little heat) on the topic:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27088&highlight=
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:33 pm
I've read it, I don't think it answers my question about the state flag.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:39 pm
Flag Etiquette

"When flown with flags of states, communities, or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
..The other flags may be smaller but none may be larger.
..No other flag ever should be placed above it.
..The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered."

So, in other words, when state and federal flags are in a group, the state flag is lowered to half-staff whenever the federal flag is at half-staff. When it is by itself, the standards for flying the state flag at half-staff are dictated by the state.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:41 pm
Hmm, then the Mexican flags and other hotel flags are all supposed to be down too...

Oh well, it looks like people are just winging it (which I don't care about since I'm not into flags).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:44 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Hmm, then the Mexican flags and other hotel flags are all supposed to be down too...

That's correct. No flag may be flown higher than the US flag.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Oh well, it looks like people are just winging it (which I don't care about since I'm not into flags).

So those rumors about you being a "flag hag" are completely unfounded?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
Quote:
When the president directs that the flag be flown at half staff at military facilities, on Naval vessels and at stations abroad, it will be so flown whether or not the flag of another nation is flown at full staff alongside the U.S. flag.

When a president, former president or president-elect dies, the flag will be flown at half staff for 30 days from the date of death during the period of reveille to retreat.

When a vice president, chief justice or retired chief justice of the United States or speaker of the House of Representatives dies, the flag will be flown at half staff for 10 days from the day of death during the period of reveille to retreat.

There are specific guidelines for flying the flag for other individuals, ranging from an associate justice of the Supreme Court to retired enlisted service members. The flag might fly at half staff at all installations or only at the military installation while the funeral is being conducted.

The extent of the flag flying at half staff depends on the rank and or position of the deceased person.
source: Military District of Washington

Obviously, everyone, who owns a flagpole, can hoist his flag on half staff, if she/he wants.

Officially, however, only the president and governors can order this.

For California see here
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:48 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

So those rumors about you being a "flag hag" are completely unfounded?

Yep, always thought they were silly. I only like the "capture the flag" games.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:53 pm
My guess is the occurence was based soley on competition. I'll bet most of the people who lowered any flag at all did so because they didn't want to be "the ones who didn't."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:59 pm
The apartments here lowered some flags, which are little more than banners to me and sent the staff home that Friday. I didn't object that they were lowered, but it is something I didn't think was done.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:04 pm
Well, he was also the governor of California...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:06 pm
How weird, my sister and I were just wondering about the lowered flag thing. The library has it's american flag and POW flag at half-mast. I decided I'd believe that it was for all those who were dying in Iraq every day.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:07 pm
patiodog wrote:
Well, he was also the governor of California...

Yeah, someone I talked to about this speculated that that may be the case.

What about you people? Are your state flags down?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:07 pm
wow, 30 days! thanks for the quote Walter.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:13 pm
Nah, CDK, I suspect the explanation about no flag being higher than the nation's is the proper explanation (it rings a bell, even).
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:13 pm
They lower the Texas flag here also. Most of them are still half mast.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:17 pm
Well, they do what they want in Texas. Flags are lowered because people are sheep. Just like how you can get a crowd to clap about anything. My wife and I enjoy doing that... you just start clapping at random points during a talk or performance and everyone joins in.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:18 pm
Quote:
Then one building lowered their California flag to half mast and the next day all the surrounding buildings did as well.

I believe we can use the garbageday/holiday phenomenon here.

Whenever garbage day falls after a holiday, people are a bit confused as whether to put their garbage out or not. They'll take a peek down the street to see if anyone else has their can out. If there is a solitary can somewhere on the length of the street.... wham!.... everyone puts their garbage out. Even if it's the wrong day.

Human behavior.

No one wants to take the chance and be the one to be ridiculed

Hey, everyone! Ratzenhofer forgot to put his garbage out. Hahahaha!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:20 pm
... a deep crimson crept into every pore of his face. He was the laughingstock of the swamp yet again. Well, at least it wasn't as bad as the tractor tailpipe incident....
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:20 pm
Truly, your childhood must have been traumatic. I mean, I just try and picture if that load had been added to my heavy head as a junior highschooler, and I say I could not have taken it. I admire you, gus. You're a warrior.
0 Replies