Private craft flies into space

g day

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:01 am
I got the wow factor from this when I heard the news this morning. To me I felt like when man first walked upon the moon (I was 9 and I rushed to the windows with my toy telescope to see if I could see them Smile ).

Its a huge achievement that will pave the way to more. I feel the next 30 years will bring huge advances in long distance and high altitude flying. I am thrilled they made it especially given in-flight fualts they encountered. Glad they had backup plans and technologies that worked!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:22 am
Off your meds, Steve? The way I figure it, this babystep by private individuals into space is a real, and most encouraging, harbinger of humankind's destiny, and it reassures me that such parochial, partisan, and shortsighted negatavism as that evidenced by your statement above ultimately is irrelevant to the march to the stars. There are those who do, and there are those who complain. Its good, if sometimes a wonder, that things get done.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:35 am
Quote:
Spacecraft's designer says space tourism still in the distance
Associated Press
June 22, 2004 ROCKET0623
MOJAVE, Calif. (AP) - The chubby-looking, stubby-winged aircraft that cracked the commercial space flight barrier this week may have made a great leap forward in aviation history, but the man who designed it believes we are still a long way from regular space tourism.

SpaceShipOne, designed by aviation pioneer Burt Rutan, soared to 328,491 feet above Earth on Monday, just a little more than 400 feet above the distance scientists widely consider to be the boundary of space. The flight lasted 90 minutes.

However, Rutan said there was a serious malfunction in part of the system that fine-tunes the flight controls, and he said that will have to be fixed before the craft flies again.

Pilot Mike Melvill, who has set world records for altitude and speed and logged more than 6,400 hours of flight time in fixed-wing aircraft and seven helicopters, said the experience ``blew me away.''
``It was really an awesome sight,'' he said of gazing down at the Earth's curvature from 62 miles above, of seeing the planet in all its various colors and gazing at the California coastline from Los Angeles to San Diego.

``It was like nothing I'd ever seen before,'' he said.

``You really do get the feeling that you've touched the face of God when you do something like this,'' the 63-year-old pilot added.

His flight led to immediate speculation that the well-heeled would pay plenty for the experience. But Rutan said he has doubts space tourism will be feasible anytime soon.

SpaceShipOne was designed by one of two dozen teams trying to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize, which will go to the first that can launch a three-seat spacecraft to an altitude of 62 miles twice in 14 days. SpaceShipOne's effort is bankrolled by billionaire Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who is spending more than $20 million.

The three-seat requirement demonstrates the capacity for paying customers; the quick turnaround between flights demonstrates reusability and reliability.

But for a commercial venture to be successful, Rutan said he believes a spacecraft would need at least six seats.

``It makes an enormous difference to fly six or 10 people,'' he said. ``Because whether you're flying six or 10 people, you're flying the same avionics, you're flying one pilot, you're flying the same checkout, preflight and post-flight, and those are the expensive things.''

Bill Sprague, the team leader of American Astronautics Corp., agreed. His team is building a seven-person spacecraft for the X Prize competition that it hopes to flight test by the end of September.

``Our intention is to enter the market as a commercial space enterprise. We're out to win an industry, not a prize,'' he said.

Although Monday's flight appeared to go flawlessly, Rutan revealed afterward that there was a serious malfunction in SpaceShipOne's trim system, used to adjust stability and steering, causing it to miss its atmospheric re-entry point by 22 miles. There was also a large bang during the flight, but the team did not know what caused that.

Hitting the re-entry point is important because after the rocket motor shuts down the plane becomes a powerless glider and cannot simply fly to its destination. But Melvill said he had enough leeway built into the flight that he was able to return to Mojave Airport.

Although Rutan said the malfunction posed ``no big deal'' to the flight's safety, he said the system would have to be fixed before the plane could fly again.

``There is no way we would fly again without knowing the cause and without assuring that we have totally fixed it because it's a very critical system,'' he said.

To attract future tourists for suborbital flights - those that don't circle the Earth but simply go up and come back down - Rutan said spacecraft must be outfitted with large windows for convenient viewing. They must also travel a good deal higher than 62 miles, he said, so tourists have enough time in space to unstrap their harnesses, float around in zero gravity and check out the view.

Source
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:11 am
Quote:
Off your meds, Steve?

No, its called humour. Something you Americans seem particularly lacking in sometimes.

I don't think there is anything particularly noble or inspiring about this venture anyway. In sheer technical terms, they are not doing anything novel. They are not pushing forward the boundaries of science and technology, and they are certainly not doing it for the greater good of mankind.

What they are doing is trying to make a lot of money for themselves by winning that prize, and exploiting a new tourism niche. Not that I'm against them making money, but its not exactly Star Trek either is it?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:56 am
Not yet.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:57 am
Now triple? will this make 4?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:58 am
double post... and it simply wasn't worthy of all that attention.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:49 am
Hey Steve! Bush and Cheny have already made plans to fvck up outer space. Bush has stated his long range goals of colonizing Mars and opening a Dunkin Donuts.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 02:32 pm
I s'pose my comment there mightta been out of line, Steve. Not by way of excuse, but merely for explanation; I prolly was in a mood to start with, and I just didn't see the relevance of Bush-Bashing, which I took your comment to be. I sometimes think folks given to that particular entertainment carry it well beyond any reasonable application. Oh, well ... no biggie at this end.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 04:25 pm
all you need is love
it might of been outta line especialy for a moderator Wink Razz but hell it got a laugh outta me Very Happy
off your meds..hahahaha Smile
whoever the president is they always get bashed... thats in the job descpription...and when you please one you upset another one...its same here in uk and anywhere in the world Shocked
there cannot be rich without poor there cant be big without small Exclamation
but your right in the sense that if people stopped complaining and got on with making IT happen(whatever IT is) then we would all get a lot further in life (trying not to upset all you complainers out there) Shocked
besides ive seen good and bad in everything and everyone Cool
ok peace and love dudes and dudesses Very Happy
ps nice one mr moderator for making me laugh your the first mod to do that... usually they are cancelling my posts for being off topic of what was the last one 'libellious' hmm... well were all entitled to our opinions that the joy of freedom of speech doesnt mean everyones gotta like em Exclamation
right enough of this drivel.....
pps so this posts on topic i think even if they are american Razz good on burt rutan, money bags allen and scaled composites for advancing the acheivements of humanity Smile and roll on my vacation on mars!!! Very Happy byeeeeeeeee Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:41 pm
Glad that entertained ya, Col Man. Stick around and you'll prolly see more such. Just FYI, timberlandko - timber - is a member just like anybody else, except mebbe a little more opinionated than some. I just happen to be also a member of the Moderating Team here, a group of volunteers which acts essentially in concert and by consensus, apart from dealing with such stuff as spam and clear-cut violations of The Terms of Use.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:45 pm
good on ya mate Smile
keep up the good work Smile
peace and love
byeeeeeeee
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:19 am
Hi Col man

And welcome to A2K.

Timber and I have been known to engage in a little banter occasionally, nothing serious.

Having read you posts I see you get high all on your own, no need for the Rutan special eh?

Steve.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:26 am
ps interesting avatar there colman

the circle being an emblem of eternity combined with the triangle signifying Divinity.

You're not a member of...no I don't suppose you are
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:31 pm
thanks for the welcome steve and well done for being the first to spot the significance of the avatar and it isn't even on the spirituality and religion forum Very Happy
i am impressed... Shocked
you guessed it...but don't tell anyone Wink its a secret Razz
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:10 pm
http://www.lronhubbard.org/eng/philoart/img/index2.jpg

Yeah, ol' L. Ron always had a thing about secrets.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:27 pm
ha Smile nice photo Smile
Well..... bizarrely enough my brother was the minister for the church of scientology here in lovely leeds..he could marry people and stuff..crazy **** huh Exclamation
This was back in the seventies when i was growing up, so i was put through 'the training' young... i mean 16-17 yrs old young.. so i know all bout that stuff. Wink it was heavy sheet dudes Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
but now it means i can melt your brains with a single thought.... Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
mu hahahahahahaaaaaa (only joking) :wink:
Needless to say my brothers dead now (of cancer) and i don't have anything to do with those dudes..so there Very Happy just so you know Wink btw the symbol of scientology is the double triangle (not the star of david, another one with the two triangles side by side pointing the same way) with an 's' shape thru it... Wink i have a photo of it in the scientology international HQ but i am not supposed to show it as they will sue me and i don't want to be sued thx and i had more fun inside a masonic temple Razz and dude if you think ol L Ron was bad with secrets you should see the masons.........................
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:59 pm
Trust me,. Col Man ... I've seen the Masons.
0 Replies