CNN Documentary...Atheism, Inside the World of Non-believers!

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 06:57 am
The documentary opened with an atheist forcefully stating, “There is no one creator…” They were the first words spoken…the first words of an atheist in the piece.

If it had been a documentary about theism, I could easily imagine it opening with a theist forcefully proclaiming, “GOD, the single Creator...”

And in each case, the question that should logically arise is:

How do you know that…or is it just a blind guess about what the REALITY actually is…a blind guess about what the REALITY of existence actually contains or is absent?

I wonder how either would have answered.

Atheism and theism…for the most part, are two sides of one coin. The theists are convinced there is a GOD…and the atheists are convinced there are no gods. Some on each side actually assert their notions...most simply infer it, guess it, "believe" it.

I would cringe if anyone were to suggest that my agnosticism* is somehow just a variation of theism. I DO cringe whenever people suggest, as they did in this documentary, it is just a variation of atheism.

The “documentary” was a disgrace...essentially showing activist atheism in its very worst light.

Don’t get me wrong, I blame CNN…not atheism for the disgrace. I actually felt sorry for atheism for the treatment they were getting at the hands of the producers at CNN...and the atheists with whom they spoke.

In any case, CNN was not talking about non-"believers"...they were talking about atheists, who spoke in interviews throughout the program about what they "believe."

Agnostics, for the most part, are the true non-"believers."

Just sayin’!

* http://able2know.org/topic/141106-611#post-5916637

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,239 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:01 am
I always thought that both (agnostics and atheists ) were looking for proof - or were open to possibilities in the future.

Your definition implies a closed, finished mind.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 08:57 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

I always thought that both (agnostics and atheists ) were looking for proof - or were open to possibilities in the future.

I don't think agnostics or atheists could be said to be "looking for proof" of whatever you think they are looking for "proof" of.

I doubt there ever will be proof that a GOD exists...and I know there will never be proof that there are no gods.

Both atheists and agnostics would probably head in the direction that evidence indicates...but there truly is no unambiguous evidence in either direction.

Despite all that, I think that both atheists and agnostics are "open to possibilities in the future"...especially insofar as both agnostics and atheists want to see the separation of state and religion maximized to the point where we not only have "freedom of religion" guaranteed, but also that we have "freedom FROM religion" guaranteed.

Quote:

Your definition implies a closed, finished mind.

I don't think so...except for the theists and atheists who want to insist their guesses about the REALITY have to be accepted. Other than that...most are pretty open minded.
0 Replies