TRANSFERRING 33.3 RPM RECORDS TO CD OR DVD

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 06:14 pm
I have everything Ray Charles ever recorded and now, as I see my collection moldering in a room that I infrequently visit, I wish to copy these 33's and some Reel to Reels onto CDs. Whats the best way to do it/ i see that CD/dVD combo recorders are about 400$ 9I dont think that there is any appreciable difference in the sound recording quality among the various brands, so i suppose Ill shop)

timber suggested we start a discussion on this subject since there may be many ways to accomplish this. Since Im fairly dim about the topic , I will mostly act as a facilitator and try to keep guys like gus from turning this into a thread with many levels.9if you know what I mean)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,468 • Replies: 7
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:11 pm
My approach is sorta multi-facet, I guess. If the source material is Vinyl, I'll prep the record by a destatic-treatment, a light vacuuming, then a trip through my automatic record cleaner, which deepscrubs the grooves with a particularly formulated record-cleaning compound, then dries the disc. I'll then manually apply a VERY light coat of an anti-static lubricant. I'll play the disc on a high quality turntable/cartridge rig (Thorens TD 195/Sure V15 VxMR, Musichall MMF 7/Goldring Eroica, or B&0 9000 Linear/B&O MMC1 - which one I use depends on the physical format of the record and on the genre of the material), recording the output directly to an audiophile Hard Drive/CD Burner's (Yamaha CDDR HD1000) Hard Drive. If the record is physically beat up, however, I will use an SAE Impulse Noise Reduction System (no longer available, as far as I know) to remove the worst of the scratch-induced clicks, but that's only in extreme cases. Once the material has been digitized onto the Hard Disk, I'll do a track-at-a-time digital transfer to an audio CD, manually keying in the Album/Artist/Track Info ... generally, you can get both sides of 2 LPs onto 1 80 Minute CD. If the overall quality of the original record was pretty good, that's about it and I finalize the disc and there it is. I always record in uncompressed 44.1 Khz standard CD Audio format, BTW, no AVI, MP3, or similar crap, please! If further processing is desired (click/pop/hiss reduction, volume equalization, dynamic range expansion, RIAA Crossover restoration, frequency enhancement/restoration, balance correction, wow, flutter, or rumble reduction, 60Hz hum removal, or the like), I'll move the disc to my media 'puter, where I have a few different audio processing applications (XP Pro from DartPro and Steinberg Clean Plus! from Pinnacle systems are favorites, though I use others from time to time, too). There I copy the disc to my hard drive, open it with whatever processing app I want to use, and perform the necessary manipulations, then burn the corrected version to a new audio CD.

If the source material is tape, I do pretty much the same thing, apart from a different cleaning/pre-recording prep routine, and of course the playback device is appropriate to the source media (Sony WA8-ES or Nakamichi 505 Cassette Deck, Tandberg A9000X Reel-to-Reel w/ outboard TEAC AN-180 Dolby Proceesor and DBX Noise Reduction Compander or a Revox B77-15), other than that, the proceedure is pretty much the same. All in all, the results, though the method is nitpicky and time-consuming, are pretty damned good, if I do say so myself. I guess I'm just the fussy, obsessive sort when it comes to music.

Satisfactory results can be obtained by most folks with a whole lot less gear and messin' around, all done through the 'puter with just a simple <$100 turntable or cassette deck ... I'll go into that a little later.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:27 pm
how and the hoppin hell did I post this twice> are you crewin with my head timber?

This sounds like I should go out and find a service that can do this to my precious Ray Charles collection. i am, as the years have impessed my brow, not gonna spend time or money becoming familiar with another batch of technology. Im of the opinion that the human mind has just enough capacity to take on technological advances. When the wel is full, something has to get pitched out(like how to set a mower blade so it floats rather than gouges , or how to program a universal remote.
I just had to learn a new piece of scientific equip and I think I had to pitch my waffle making skills.

The cleaning solvents for CDs is nothing but watered down methanol, sometimes they add color , which doesnt do squat.
never use anything with an aggressive solvent like a ketone or your cd will melt like a dali watch.

I need more. I need to know the best, cheapest, most idiot proof way to develop a agood quality cd. I no longer have a turntable, the last one i had was a dual 1220 (some number like that, it was their top of line at the time) I think I made it into a rock tumbler or mini potters wheel, using a rheostat from an old fan. Youre not dealing with edison here.. be gentle
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:57 pm
OK ... there are a buncha turntables in the $100 New range, less if you find 'em used, that have built-in phono preamps. Just get one and connect the puppy to your soundcard's line in (prolly gonna need a $2 RCA-to-stereo miniplug adapter to do that - both the turntable w/preamp and the adapter can be had at RadioShack). Your CD burning app should have the capability of recording from your soundcard's line in - most do. Just create a folder into which to record the material, and record it into that folder. Open your CD burning app's burning function, select the file you just recorded, pop in a blank CD-R, and burn away ... rip to MP3 if you can and like; you'll get a lot more music on each CD. I suggest strongly you copy the material to your drive first, then burn it ... eliminates a whole buncha possible glitches. Once you've got the material burned, delete the file if you wanna and start over with new material. Several common CD Burning apps, such as EZCD Creator and Nero Burning ROM, among others, offer rudimentary, but adequate-for-typical-userse, cleanup plugins if you wanna use 'em.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:09 pm
ok Ill try thhis. damn i wish I woulda saved that turntable. its a rock tumbler. my kid uses it to make fake 'APAchhe tears' out of old dark glass. the drive wheel and motor

is connected to a series of pillow blocks so theres nothing left to stictch together

Why do I need a preamp? Cant the input audo amp take the signal? or is it a matter of converting to digital/ be gentle, Im a moron here.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:26 pm
The voltage output from a phono cartridge is insufficient to provide a suitable recording level, and due to the inescapable characteristics of the vinyl medium itself, the recording process actually incorporates a frequency response shift (RIAA Equalization) that requires a phono preamp to implement properly. No biggie re the preamp; almost any stereo receiver will have one, some very inexpensive turntables as I mentioned incorporate them, and inexpensive stand-alone units are widely available. You're gonna need one somewhere in the chain ... you can't just output directly from the phono cartridge to an audio input. Your best/cheapest/simplest bet likely is gonna be a turntable with one built in, since you're gonna be gettin' a new (or new-to-you, at least) turntable anyway.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:14 am
I still have an old Luxman amp . I can use that. A friend has a sony table that I can use.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:58 am
Cool. You're in.
0 Replies