trash my patent leather shoes?

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 01:41 pm
IPSWICH, England, Jun. 20 (UPI) -- A high school in Britain has banned skirts on female students because it says hemlines have gotten too short.
The BBC reported Sunday Kesgrave High School, near Ipswich, England, has ordered its female students to wear pants instead of short skirts.
The head of the school said some of the skirts were not only immodest, but also impractical.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 528 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 01:44 pm
The Equal Opportunities Commission says students could have a case for unlawful sex discrimination.

The girls could claim they had been denied normal dress options, it was suggested.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 01:49 pm
From the school's website

Quote:
- Keep up the good reputation of the school.

The success of the school and your success within it depends on a good reputation being maintained in all aspects of school life. Your appearance and the wearing of uniform is an important part of this.

Jewellery should not be worn in school. The only exception to this are a single set of stud earrings and a watch.

Make up and nail varnish should not be worn to school.

Coats are an outside item of clothing and look out of place indoors. When in school leave them in your locker or in your bag.

You must address visitors to the school politely and assist them wherever possible.

Your uniform should be smart and in the best possible order.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:05 pm
I side with the school on this one.

As long as a dress code is applied equally, and there are no cultural/religious issues involved (i.e. head scarves), the school should be able to institute policies it thinks will make a better learning environment.

Research has shown the dress codes can increase student performance.

If I remember right. In the US dress codes are legally permissible in public schools, if they are applied fairly.
0 Replies