Expanding Scripture

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:52 am
In normative Christian terms, may we expand what is commonly included in Scripture? Or what we can cite as Scripture?

I'd like to include John Donne, William Wordsworth, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Wallace Stevens - yes I agree, a lot of American poets.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,820 • Replies: 14
No top replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 09:46 am
@Neil Griffiths,
Don't confuse classic with canonic
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 09:57 am
@Neil Griffiths,
Neil Griffiths wrote:

In normative Christian terms, may we expand what is commonly included in Scripture? Or what we can cite as Scripture?

I'd like to include John Donne, William Wordsworth, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Wallace Stevens - yes I agree, a lot of American poets.

I'm sure there are many here who would agree with you, Neil...although they probably would want to include Lewis Carroll, ‎L. Frank Baum, The Grimm Brothers, and Quentin Tarantino also.
Neil Griffiths

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 10:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think 'extended scripture' should be a personal choice, and doesn't invalidate it. Although I'm not sure anyone would choose Tarantino. I think extended scripture requires a reading of the canon and then a need for finding a deeper, more personal expression of what's there. That said, there's some bloody stuff early on, so maybe QT could provide extra resonances in that area ...
Neil Griffiths

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 10:48 am
@neologist,
it's not confusion but flexibility ...
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 11:13 am
@Neil Griffiths,
I think Tarantino is a natural for the early going of the Bible. And considering "the early going" of the Bible is the only part telling us what the god of the Bible actually thinks and says...

...Tarantino is a natural for the god.

(Just yankin' your chain a bit, Neil. Do whatever you think best.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 12:35 pm
@Neil Griffiths,
It's true that there have been many wise men/women with well considered philosophies and opinions. Consider my sig line and it's well known author. I consider it a perfect description of our relationship with Jehovah, a consideration not shared in any measure by my friend Frank.

So, regardless of erudition or razor sharp insight, when we look at things not in the canon, we risk hopeless confusion as we try to discern God's message. For the Bible was inspired and written, not as a scientific treatise, but as an explanation for the least sophisticated of us to understand how misery and death came into our world and what God intends to do about it.

For that purpose, the canonical scriptures are sufficient and we do well to consider the words of the apostle John regarding God's injuncture regarding additions and subtractions from 'scripture' - Revelation 22:18,19 

However, I understand other belief systems have their own 'scripture'.
Neil Griffiths

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:55 am
@neologist,
Revelations shouldn't even be in 'scripture' - it was a late edition, much argued over. I'd replace it with Leaves of Grass.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 08:04 am
@Neil Griffiths,
Neil Griffiths wrote:

Revelations shouldn't even be in 'scripture' - it was a late edition, much argued over. I'd replace it with Leaves of Grass.

I still think something from Lewis Carroll would be better. And more in keeping with the general trend of the book.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 09:01 am
@Neil Griffiths,
No. Deuteronomy 13:1 (in some Bibles it's 12:last due to a numbering glitch) says you may not add to or take away from the Torah (taken to mean add or remove commandments.)

Like what poets say why not just quote them as that instead of inserting them into theology?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:48 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:

No. Deuteronomy 13:1 (in some Bibles it's 12:last due to a numbering glitch) says you may not add to or take away from the Torah (taken to mean add or remove commandments.)

I think you're referring to Deuteronomy 4:2.

Unless God himself subtracts from the Torah, as Paul claims God had done for the Gentile Christians, e.g. circumcision. It's not in reference to the other books, though.

I think most people take from different sources and their own musings to create their own beliefs and theology about God.
AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:54 pm
@Neil Griffiths,
Well John Donne wouldn't approve.

John Donne's Sermons on the Psalms and Gospels: With a Selection of Prayers and Meditations
by John Donne and Evelyn M. Simpson

See page 75
https://books.google.com/books?id=1_bov6qpSA8C&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=that+which+the+scripture+says+god+sayes+donne&source=bl&ots=K2ulfn23Oj&sig=TTZOKrSi1qvvxWDOw3fBpQAi9Cc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5q_nc1_3NAhXJ5CYKHRX4DWIQ6AEIIDAA#v=onepage&q=that%20which%20the%20scripture%20says%20god%20sayes%20donne&f=false
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:09 am
@InfraBlue,
Paul makes no such claim, He was a Pharisee of the Pharisees, taught by Gamaliel. No, he says the opposite, that those who say the formality of religion satisfies God, they are wrong. You can be circumcised and be an enemy of God.

0 Replies

MethSaferThanTHC

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:02 am
@Neil Griffiths,
I think it's okay to expand scripture per sermon.
expanding similar passages between saints should be kept separate.
0 Replies

MethSaferThanTHC

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:04 am
@Neil Griffiths,
I think it's okay to expand scripture per sermon.
Ex. Expanding a passage between saints should be kept separate. The sharper the better!
0 Replies