"Ulysses" by Alfred Lord Tennyson, Someone Please Help Me

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:49 pm
I am doing a paper on this poem for school and I am quite lost. If anyone has any insights as to what this poem might be about it would be very helpful, thnks a bunch
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,439 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Charli

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:23 pm
Here''s a copy of the poem
Welcome to A2K!

Here's a copy of the poem - you might include similar files in future posts. Also, check out some of the sites given on Google for discussions of the poem.

ULYSSES - Click Here

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:03 am
wow, Charli. I was wondering where "I am a part of all I have Met" originated. Thanks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:06 am
P.S. Yes, Jon, welcome to A2K, and in Greek, Ulysses is call Odysseus.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 04:22 pm
Ulysses
Hi, Jonsku, and welcome to A2K!

It's nice when a student asks for insights, for a change, instead of almost saying "write my paper", as some seem to do.

You could start by doing a fast read of Homer's Odyssey - Masterplots or a similar summary would orient you to the background of the poem, and help you make sense of it. What you have here is an old man, much travelled, experienced in many things, looking back on his life, and coming to the conclusion that whether you achieve your goals, the important thing is to have tried.

When you read over the poem, slowly, you will see how Ulysses feels about his wife, his son, his comrades on "the windy plains of Troy".

There is much that is deep in this work, but even a surface reading will give you much to think about, and thus to write about in your paper.

Good luck!
0 Replies