Looking for a good grammar book.

shua

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 01:48 pm
I'm looking for a (hopefully short) book for native English speakers which details the grammar concepts learned in high school and college that may have been forgotten without usage. I'm looking to be fluent in the language of commas, other punctuation, when to use whom, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 917 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 03:09 pm
@shua,
Possibly Reference Manual For Office Personnel by Clifford House & Kathie Sigler. It's more of a reference for secretaries and such than a text book. That is, it's a useful source to look up specific tasks and problems.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 03:28 pm
@shua,
One of the best I've found and was used in our curriculum by my English Professor was this Style Guide (currently 105 pages): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 01:43 pm
@Ragman,
I've got that. Don't agree with everything in it by now, but it's a classic.

The book my ex treated himself to is Fowler's Modern English Usage, 2nd edition. Haven't even opened it, but, it's there, just in case I want to check something. Ex was a lit major with mfa in theater, later a playwright; he considered that book as a prize.

A few weeks ago I was reading the 90th anniversary issue of the New Yorker - great issue - and in there, an editor who rose from a beginning editing job to being one of the top editors there mentioned that her favorite is Fowler. Now I may actually read some of it. I like the New Yorker editing in general.

I edited because I just remembered that it wasn't me who bought that..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 01:53 pm
@ossobuco,
A book I did pick up in a used book store is the revised edition of the Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual, 1987. Not quite the same thing as a grammar book.
I haven't read that one either.
0 Replies