My Boss (I am an unpaid intern)

Fri 6 Mar, 2015 12:08 pm
Hi I Just got out of college and now work as a Digital Data Analyst Intern at this event advertising website - (it is just basically me and My boss working together). My job is to increase the web traffic and get a high page rank by doing all of these SEO techniques. The problem is that I applied for the internship to learn how companies do the SEO process because I have no experience, but my boss expect me to know all of the process and now he expect me to increase the traffic. What I have been doing is putting up and updating event listings on the site, on top of that I have to do social media posting and Optimize our site. Does each of this tasks require specific employee working on it or is it done by one single guy?

jespah

Fri 6 Mar, 2015 01:04 pm
@frankC21,
A lot of this work can be done by one person if you are well-organized. Look into using HootSuite for social media postings to start. As for SEO, start reading the Moz blog.

And maybe tell your boss that you need some time to absorb what to do.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Fri 6 Mar, 2015 03:00 pm
Your boss was wrong to get an intern and expect that person to already know what the intern really wanted to learn how to do. In other words, you were NOT qualified for the job!

What you want is to be MENTORED or TRAINED.

Get another internship or job ASAP. He's using you and stressing you out.
roger

Fri 6 Mar, 2015 03:27 pm
@PUNKEY,
I think you are right, Punkey.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 6 Mar, 2015 04:39 pm
SEO is probably your biggest thing to do (go to Google and look up rich snippets and structured data). I would work on it first as SEO takes a while to work.

For your social media efforts, go to Topsy and start looking up how popular hashtags are for your work. E. g. if you're working for a gardening supply company, the best hashtags might be #gardening or #mulch (I have no idea). If you're working for a bank, the best hashtags might be #interest or #finance.

Craft not only your tweets using these hashtags, but everything else as well. Also, make your content do more than one thing. Facebook posts should be tweeted. Blog posts should be shared to Facebook. Tweets should mention Pinterest if you are on that platform, etc.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 6 Mar, 2015 05:41 pm
You should be social media posting several times about the same things. With HootSuite, you can schedule this, so for Event #1, set it to tweet or go to FB (or wherever you have a presence) at, say, 1 PM Monday, 4:30 PM Tuesday, 11:15 Wednesday, etc. Repetition is really not a problem, so long as the posts are different. Mix it up so you might post Event #1 first on Monday but third on Tuesday, Event #2 might be posted second on Monday, first on Tuesday, third on Wednesday or whatever, etc. Keep mixing it up in order to determine what works best for you. You will know a tweet is working better if it is retweeted. You'll know an FB post is doing better if it is liked or shared or there are comments, etc.

For SEO, you are just going to need to plow through them. Because you know what at least some of the potential issues are, make yourself a list in Excel with columns. E. g. page name, URL, h1, img alt, etc. whatever you are seeing as an issue over and over again.

Your spreadsheet would say (using the columns I enumerated above) --
Event #1 http://event1... yes ... yes

With the yeses being that yes, you have h1, and yes, you have img alt.

For a podcast where I do SEO, the columns on the YouTube spreadsheet are:

Quote:
Title Post Date Blog URL Blog owly URL Pin Tblr YouTube URL YouTube owly Notes Annots Play list Tweet last tweet

• Title = title of the blog post
  • Date = date blogged
  • Blog URL = blog url
  • Blog owly = blog url shortened by HootSuite
  • Pin = whether I've pinned the url (this is just yes or no)
  • YouTube URL = only if there is a YouTube video for the podcast (we don't have videos for the oldest podcasts)
  • YouTube owly = YouTube video url shortened by HootSuite
  • Notes = whether the notes on YouTube are filled out correctly (this is another yes/no column)
  • Annots = whether the YouTube annotations are filled out correctly (this is another yes/no column)
  • Play list = which YouTube play list the video is on
  • Tweet = the tweet I've crafted for the blog post. For the YouTube video, I add the hashtag #YouTube
  • last tweet = last date tweeted

For the Blog spreadsheet, the columns are as follows:

Quote:
Title Post Date Weekday Blog URL Img Pin Tblr Tweet owly URL Char total Last tweeted? H1 Tags Word Count Cats Tags ever green SEO

• Title = title of the blog post
  • Post Date = date blogged
  • Weekday (self-explanatory)
  • Blog URL = blog url
  • Img = whether alt img is right (another yes/no column)
  • Pin = whether I've pinned the url (this is just yes or no)
  • Tblr =
  • Pin = whether I've put the url on Tumblr (this is just yes or no)
  • Tweet = the tweet I've crafted for the blog post
  • owly URL = blog url shortened by HootSuite
  • Char total = total # of characters for Tweet + owly URL. This is a formula that looks like this: =LEN(H450)+LEN(I450)
  • Last tweeted? = last date tweeted
  • H1 = is there an h1? (this is just yes or no)
  • Tags = are the tags right? (this is just yes or no)
  • Word Count (self-explanatory)
  • Cats Tags= are the categories right? (this is just yes or no)
  • ever green = can the content be repeated? (yes, no, or tweet only)
  • SEO = is SEO good, fair, or poor?

It took me a while to get through these. It's a rockpile. You do what you can during the day, every day. You won't need all of these columns, but if you keep track, you will know if you touched a certain page or not.

You're an intern. If it's imperfect, that's fine. But if you keep a list, and you start to see the same pages, then either your changes aren't taking or the boss is repeating himself. Or there are dupe pages (which you should get rid of for better SEO).
0 Replies

Michael Lalwani

Wed 22 Apr, 2015 01:42 am
@frankC21,
Hello,
Yes indeed in the small company you have to know every aspect of digital marketing.
0 Replies

joomdev

Thu 14 May, 2015 07:39 am
Hello FrankC21,

It is good to learn that you are interested in the field of SEO.
But to get good work done in this field, one does need to understand the ins and outs of the search engine systems. What you know today might become obsolete tomorrow. Without first learning what new technologies are out in the market, you can not be expected to increase traffic or do any of the SEO related things.

I personally am working in Delhi as an SEO and SMO expert, but I alone can not complete all necessary tasks. This is a team effort. There are multiple factors that come into picture when you want to increase traffic to your website. As you might be aware that there are on site and off site methods of doing so. For the on site things like the JavaScript and HTML stuff, there is the IT department which should handle all the work, where as for the off site things, there are people like U and me who do digital marketing to increase traffic.

So, to answer your question in short, as PUNKEY said, you are not qualified for the job. And as for you, you are not required to do both the tasks by yourself. Either ask your boss to hire another person, or get proper SEO training or a proper SEO job.

Hope it helps! Smile
jamesblunt

Fri 14 Jun, 2019 11:09 pm
@joomdev,
yes you are absolutely right....we can't do the both task ...so he should go to the another company for seo training..As in the seo training his work is only to do the of page seo .
0 Replies