Speaker amplifier

Qedryer

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 04:44 pm
My amp recently blew a fuse and i replaced it.after i replaced it a box underneath the fuse port that has copper coils in it is over heating right away when i turn it on..when i turn it on it emmediatly starts to smell and get super hot?whats wrong and how do i fix it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,344 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 05:48 pm
@Qedryer,
How much is the amplifier worth right now?

Something clearly is causing a short that is heating up and drawing excessive current.

Typical possible repairs:
If you're talking about the amplifier smoking, and let's just say the cause is those wound coils ...then that's probably the power transformer.

You most likely would need a new amp because if had it repaired you're looking at a minimum of over $100 just to look at the amp (applicable towards the repair if you authorize it). Typically there'd another sizeable chunk for cost of the transformer.

However, that isn't to say the cause is transformer...I was just citing an example. If it's one of the power chips, then that could end up over $200 as well with labor and parts.
0 Replies