Global warming overblown?

McTag

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:38 am
An ice age would be better. Maybe Mother Earth has some more surprises in store for us.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:47 pm
Well either one is a distant prospect. If the earth will hold up for a couple of billion years the sun will swell up and devour it in its later red giant phase.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:49 pm
Oh lordy, shouldn't we be doing something about that now?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 02:14 pm
Well, long before that happens, just millions of years from now, the earth is very likely to be hit by an asteroid large enough to wipe out most life. Numerical experiments by astronomers also suggest that chaotic instabilities in the orbits of the outer planets in our solar system are a distinct possibility over the next hundreds of million years - a collision (or even near miss) with Saturn or neptune could also be fatal.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 02:20 pm
Uh oh! We're down from billions to millions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 02:25 pm
I guess, I (we all?) will suffer from dementia by that time and soon forget the collision(s).

So, this doesn't me bother me much.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:19 pm
No, no, we must begin now to dismantle that asteroid. How do we know it will be millions of years? It could be thousands....or hundreds.....or....

Didn't you guys see the movie "Armageddon"? (Good adventure flick). Actually, I think by the time we are really threatened by a major collision, we will most likely have the technology to deal with it. I think we maybe are planning ahead on that one or I bet somebody is figuring out how it could be done.

More immediately, according to a guy on "After Dark" (late night radio) recently, the shadow people, possibly from the center of the earth, may be intending to wipe out human kind in the nearer future.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:46 pm
Now all you wackos get nice and distracted with your minds on global ecological disaster and just don't think about Al Queda for awhile, kay? Don't worry, they won't hurt you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:48 pm
There are plenty of threads focusing on Al Qaida cjhsa. And they all ignore potential ecological disasters.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 02:35 pm
I ran across this website that provides links to a number of interesting articles re global warming:

http://globalwarming.org/

The most interesting thing was the opinion of the Russian representative that views the Kyoto Accord as dubiously and with as much skepticism as the current U.S. administration views it.

And then we have also recently posted:
Quote:
Global warming is approaching the critical point of no return, after which widespread drought, crop failure and rising sea-levels would be irreversible, an international climate change task force warned Monday.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/01/24/climate.change.ap/
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 07:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

And I'll be long gone from this reality.

No. It’s happening now.

Louisiana is losing a pretty tidy plot of land to the Gulf of Mexico and the Mississippi.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-12-22/louisiana-sinking-fast-prepares-to-empty-out-its-coastal-plain?__twitter_impression=true

——————————
Louisiana is finalizing a plan to move thousands of people from areas threatened by the rising Gulf of Mexico, effectively declaring uninhabitable a coastal area larger than Delaware.

A draft of the plan, the most aggressive response to climate-linked flooding in the U.S., calls for prohibitions on building new homes in high-risk areas, buyouts of homeowners who live there now and hikes in taxes on those who won’t leave. Commercial development would still be allowed, but developers would need to put up bonds to pay for those buildings’ eventual demolition.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2018 12:50 pm
@Lash,
A large fraction of the land erosion in the Mississippi delta arises , not from rising sea levels in the Gulf at all. Instead it is a result of the loss of the sediment deposits formerly carried into the delta by the river. This is caused by the cumulative effects of all the many upriver flood control and navigation improvements that residents have been making now for centuries.

This is a near universal phenomenon observable in most of the river deltas in the world. It has very little to do with supposed global warming.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2018 01:06 pm
@georgeob1,
That's your opinion.
But climate change is at least an important factor for rising sea levels.

Besides that this "universal phenomenon observable in most of the river deltas" is there related to climate change.
The rapidly rising sea level in Mississippi has little to nothing to do with "many upriver flood control and navigation improvements". (Hint: Delta Works in the Netherlands)

But perhaps the denial of climate change really gives a better result than of other places who deal with it.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 02:29 pm
@candidoff,
Bull ****.
candidoff

Reply Thu 29 Feb, 2024 01:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
where are the any arguments?
Everything is built according to thermodynamics.
0 Replies