Full English Breakfast

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:04 pm
Im an American, living in England at the moment...I went on a holiday this weekend, I think thats what vacations are called here, not sure! Smile Anyway, I had my first Full English Breakfast, and I loved it! It consisted of an egg, a hashbrown, mushrooms, half a tomato, beans, a really big sausage, smoked bacon or something like it, and toast. It was great!! How often is it really eaten here in England and are there any variations to this awesome (and rather fattening) dish?! LOL Laughing
Thanks in Advance!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,831 • Replies: 33
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:30 pm
Wow, that's a big breakfast! Sounds good!
however, I have no knowledge to impart re your question, just wanted to comment!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:00 pm
I think that may be the standard breakfast in B&B's, etc. I don't think people eat like that too much at home.

Christina, try travelling in Ireland. They do breakfasts like this in the B&B's and do them sooooo much better than the English.

The Irish breakfast is truly a thing of joy. You don't need to eat again until about 4pm.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 12:51 am
It certainly is been served in most hotels, guesthouses and B&B's .... and as margo already noted, rarely in normal English families.

(You seldom get a "breakfast buffet" in continental European homes as well, but such is served in hotels, guesthouses .... :wink: )
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:28 am
The traditional English breakfast requires the traditional English frying pan.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:34 am
Christina82- You don't have to go as far as England to get a breakfast that will keep you going for three days. Last week, my husband and I went to Denny's. He got two huge slices of French Toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and grits (He could have gotten hash browns instead). Definitely not haute cuisine, but the stuff will sure fill you up! Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:41 am
nobody has that at home - usually muesli only - but on holiday it is nice to have.

A true 'full English breakfast' would be:

fruit juice
pot of tea or coffee
cereals
bacon, sausage, tomatoes (tinned or fresh fried),fried potatoes (hash browns being a modern alternative). mushrooms and fried or scrambled egg.
.....followed ... by toast and marmalade if you can really cope with that as well in the morning!

usually only eaten now at hotels and B&B's or in cafe's as has already been said
0 Replies

Christina82

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:05 am
Yuuuummy! I assumed it wasn't a meal many people ate all the time, at least I hope not, I can only guess it's fat content and calories are astronomical *lol*, but almost all good meals are. Smile Oh boy I miss Denny's, only three more months and I'll be back in the states, you and your husband must be in the south to get an order of GRITS with your food! My husband is from Alabama and loves grits, it doesn't seem to have a taste to me. For breakfast, I prefer som scrambled eggs, sausage, and rice, all with ketchup...I know, I know, GROSS right?! Forgive me Sad 1. Im pregnant, and 2. I'm from Hawaii, which you know is actually a typical breakfast there, unless your a tourist staying at the Hyatt or something, then you'd get your fancy bagels and stuff....so!! Anyone got any foods they love but are ashamed to admit it? I love spam!! *LMAO* Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:36 am
I remember - about 40 years back - rolls (these 'highlights' from "Mother's Pride"), toast from the gas-toaster, yoghurts, cereals, eggs, marmelade were quite common in 'normal' households.
0 Replies

BaileyStapleton

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:30 pm
Aah, yes, a full English breakfast. Juice, tea, creal, bacon, banger, tomato, fried potato (and sometimes fried onion), and eggs, and usually a couple of crumpets or toast and jam.

Mmmm! (and I wonder why I'm 130 kgs! :wink: )
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:37 pm
I have those English "full breakfasts" many times while visiting London. They're relatively a "cheap" breakfast too. When I stayed at a B&B many, many, years ago, the breakfast consisted of bacon and eggs, toast, cereal, milk, coffee, and orange juice.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:41 pm
Don't forget the breakfast kippers served on British Rail.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:51 pm
irish breakfasts are the best.

black puddin, white puddin, bangers, bacon, eggs, beans, taters of any kind, fried tomato, toast or bread and a pint of the creamy black stuff.

that's what i got used to when i was in clare for a long spell this spring. i have no idea about english breakfasts.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:04 pm
And Americans at home get what littlest pig got. The continental breakfast served in motels usually works out to be a donut and a cup of coffee. I do not go so far as to say fresh donut and coffee.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:43 am
Even at B&Bs it varies. I traveled throughout England, Ireland and Scotland and found that when I stayed in the countryside, they always served those yummy, but fattening breakfasts. I never ate lunch after any of those breakfasts. However, whenever I stayed in the cities, the breakfasts at B&Bs tended to be much less. Usually you could have cereal, eggs and toast, but it was rare to get additional stuff with the breakfast.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
Linkat, Your experience at English B&Bs is more extensive than my one stay, so I defer to your experience of "to be much less." Wink
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:19 am
True that it's mainly eaten in Hotels and B&Bs.

Occasional "brunch" (imported word and idea) use of the Full English breakfast is good on Sundays and/or when there's a house party full of people...

...which means that there is adequate demand for all that food (you don't want to cook a whole pack of sausages or bacon for 2!) and probably a hangover to be recovered from!

KP
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:07 pm
At the B&B I stayed in during the first 'London A2K-metting', a "full English breakfast" was included (but toilet and bathroom were not 'en suite' :wink: ).

Every morning, I had to disapointed the landlady, because I just wanted toast, marmelade and tea.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
a "full english brekfast - modified" is what mrs. h and i usually have on saturday/sunday- and sometimes during the week, if we are planning on a late lunch (which is our main meal). eggs - any style - with smoked salmon is one of my favourites. when we stayed at the hotel kempinski in berlin for a week last fall, the breakfasts were a combo of b'fast and lunch - with plenty of smoked and pickeled fish thrown in for good measure - for their scandinavian - and canadian(that's mrs h and i) guests. there was also a big ice-bucket of SEKT , so you could refresh your tastebuds as necessary. i wanna go back ! hbg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:08 pm
I recall a pretty spectacular breakfast some years back, now.

We had up country, about 3 hours drive out of Sydney, to go trout fishing, and were staying in an old house on someone's property. This house had electricity and tank water, but not much else - you just crashed wherever you could. I made my nest under a table in the kitchen - there no-one had to climb over me.

We had a BIG, late night on the Friday, and I made the 5.30am start on Saturday morning (they woke me up, when they were getting ready in the kitchen!). We were down on the creek for a couple of hours, and then came back for breakfast, just as everyone else was rising, about 9am.

The grandfather of a friend was a retired butcher in the local town. He arrived with a car full of food - or so it seemed. They lit this huge bbq, and there were enormous steaks, sausages, bacon, chops, ham steaks, and anything else you could think of - along with fried bread, potatoes, tomatoes.... None of Walter's wishy-washy coffee and toast here. No cereal in sight.

It was simply the most amazing breakfast I've ever seen. I seem to remember there was tea and coffee, and Coke for those with major hangovers. Or you could start drinking again! Probably not exactly the full English breakfast, but certainly a grand Australian one.

They did most of it again that night, and the next morning.

Oh - and we caught some good fish, too! Strangely, the fish all got taken home - this was strictly a meat-eaters weekend. I wonder what happened to the vegetarian there?

Those days are gone, now.....
0 Replies