F*cking villagers vote against name change

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:04 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Australia to Europe

F*cking villagers vote against name change

Residents of an Austrian village called F*cking, have voted against changing the name. The 150 or so people who live in the village debated the issue after roadsigns kept being stolen - many by British tourists.

Spokesman Siegfried Hoeppl, said: "Everyone here knows what it means in English, but for us F*cking is F*cking - and it's going to stay F*cking - even though the signs keep getting stolen."

He said the name came from Mr F*ck and his family who settled in the area 100 years ago, and added "ing", meaning village or settlement.

The villagers didn't find out about the English meaning of the word until Allied soldiers stationed in the region in 1945 pointed out the alternative meaning.

Local newspaper editor Menhardt Buzasa said there had been an increase in the number of signs being stolen, and said British tourists were usually blamed.

"I do not agree it is just the British. F*cking is universal. Germans use it as much now as the British, and it also means the same to the Americans, Australians and anyone in the English speaking world," he said.

Similar votes on a name change have taken place recently in neighbouring Austrian towns Wank am see and Petting, as well as in Vomitville and Windpassing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,559 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Denze

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:20 pm
I thought this was a joke until I found http://www.snopes.com/photos/austria.asp
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:22 pm
no, it's not joke Smile
I just wonder why is this topic under "Australia"
Austria is different country you know? Wink
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:59 pm
Shocked Was! Sie bedeuten, daß ich nicht österreichisch bin? Fluch! Jetzt muß ich Englisch erlernen! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:44 pm
Nah! You're doing just fine, Adrian.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:09 am
myownusername
myownusername, thanks to Moderator for catching my error. I must have thought those weird Aussies would like up something like this, certainly not the staid Austrians.

Wait until dlowan finds out what I accused OZ of doing. She will never let me forget my goof. Laughing Laughing Laughing

BBB
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:11 pm
Heh - that was funny
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:36 pm
As the town's founder was named Focko why don't they revert to the original spelling. I smell a bit of tourist marketing here. (talk me bad, talk me good, but talk me)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:44 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
As the town's founder was named Focko why don't they revert to the original spelling. I smell a bit of tourist marketing here. (talk me bad, talk me good, but talk me)

The last is true as well as the speak German there (well, kind of :wink: ), and this really has no meaning at all in German.
(Besides, the tourist marketing aspect was introduced by US-Americans, visting the nearby county town Braunau [on both places nearly the only tourists besides some neo-Nazis in the latter].)
0 Replies