How do you define Time?

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 07:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I am not trying to disagree with you.

But we do have other means now than the sun for determining 'our' time. I think one second is defined as the time it takes for a specific atom to vibrate a specific number of times under a specific set of circumstances, though at the moment I recall neither which atom, how many vibrations and under what conditions.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 07:35 pm
@Cyracuz,
That would be the atomic clock in Colorado.
0 Replies

grotto19

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 12:23 am
@tcis,
Time is a product of motion, and motion a product of time, the two are codependent. We are limited in our perception of things and see time and motion in a linear fashion, understandably since we require time and movement in order for the mechanism of understanding (our neurons) to even process such a thing. Just bear in mind that time is simply a component of our method of perceiving the world around us. Our brains record input much like frames of film, in a certain order, based on the rate of neuron activity. That rate determines our perception of time.
If you doubt this think back to a time where you had a high adrenaline dangerous experience (or someone else told you about it if you have not had one). How time nearly stood still and everything moved in slow motion. This is because the neurons begin firing much faster, and that faster recording speed results in things appearing to move much more slowly. It is like recording at 300 fps and then playing it back at a 60 fps speed.
So in essence time is simply our mind arranging data in the order in which it was received. Or to view it historically and externally time is a representation of tracking movement. Time is real as long as movement is real; however what we see of it is subjective. As long as something moves there must be time, and as long as there is time all things must move. Though you sit still every cell in your body has tremendous activity of electrons orbiting and the very heat which keeps us alive is a product of massive vibration. All things are moving, and time is simply our way of organizing where a thing was and where it is now, time is distance moved divided by velocity put into some unit of measure.
0 Replies

AtheisticMaterialist

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 04:14 pm
Time is simply the order of events. If some how all the force in the world canceled each other out then there would be no time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 03:29 pm
Time is what provides us with our past, present, and future.
0 Replies

Fractalboy

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 07:46 pm
The understanding of time has been questioned and discussed about for thousands of years. So before I put forth an answer for defining time, just keep in mind that I'm not stating a fact, rather my own opinion to this still present day controversy of the understanding of time. I respect all other opinions posted on this topic and I am excited to be enlightened by others.

When ever I approach a topic, I try to understand where exactly it could be in our present day perspective compared to its historic origin. (Pretty much brake it down over and over again until you finally get to its root.)
But it's hard to say who founded time. I don't care who says they know who founded time, because really, nobody knows, it's always been. Or maybe the understanding of it by one person was taught creating a paradigm shift, and to this day we can only understand it by how it was once taught. Would we see it differently if we could destroy the idea of time and relearn it from how we individually saw it? That experiment can still be reached by any one who is like you and I. Anyway my introduction is getting to long, let's begin to understand time in perhaps a different way you once understood.

So we all know we live in time, there is a time for sleep, a time to awake, a time to remember and a time in our future. But what gives existence to time? Some devices used to determine a calculation of time are the following... Sundial, water clock, hour glass, pendulum, and the atomic clock. So if you notice, the calculation of time cannot be determined if something is not moving. A sundial calculates time by a moving shadow where as an atomic clock calculates time by the periods of radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyper fine levels of the ground state of caseium 133 atom. So in general, one can understand that time cannot exist without energy and energy cannot exist without time.

So before questioning me and stop reading this, if this is true, try to keep this concept in mind, that the properties and characteristics of energy are determined by time. Ya we are human but that doesn't mean we have to separate our selves from nature. Our existence is equivalent to the existence of a random rock on the ground, a tree or any other thing on this earth. The reason being is because everything is made out of atoms..right? Our intelligence is because of the electric discharges in our synapse, ions, chemical reactions which also can be understood as atoms constantly giving and taking from each other to form this idea and to perform every function a human body can naturally perform. So our ability to comprehend time is only by atoms.
If your read a book about the anatomy and physiology of the human body, it will explain that you have flesh, blood, plasma, organs, ect... But that is some what on a macroscopic view point, when in reality were nothing but billions upon billions of atoms and we question everything around us when in reality the answers are within us.

So all atoms are in vibrational states (including us) which is equivalent to a specific energy level. All atoms change over time trying to become balanced like all Nobel gases. Everything you experience in your life becomes balanced within you, a better why to understand that is, everything in your past is what has made you who you are today. But what happens over time when we grow older?
Obviously we start to age and change right? Again, the characteristics of energy is determined by time. Time ages us because our atoms are decaying.

I don't know if you have had the same experience as me, but when I was younger, time went by so slow and as I got older, time began to accelerate.
This is because of our perception of different atomic states we lived in..or is it?

I'm not going to lie, I'll throw my pride away and boast about all the drugs I used in the past. If you want some hard fact personal evidence of experiencing time in different ways, then go smoke the biggest bowl of pot that you can find and examine your mental understanding of time at that moment. Or better yet, go trip on acid and experience different worlds forming around you that exist only by the presence of a new chemical form that your body is induced by. That chemical form has different atoms that are not naturally created by your body. So of course your perception of time and reality will change if you excite your mind with foreign chemicals.

So I just explained what time is and to sum it all up again, time is the perception of our atoms while it undergoes a decaying state until death. There is no law of time that is universal, the universe does not perceive time like we do, rocks don't perceive time like we do. Animals don't perceive time like we do. Time is a man made concept to understand the existence of something we can't understand because are atoms control us this way.

If this concept is still not persuading you, then think of it like this.
If we all were made has humans but naturally produced The chemical LSD. We lived life for thousands of years just as we do know, what do you think our perception of time and reality would be then? We never knew there was a different perception then the one naturally instilled in us by our bodies naturally producing LSD. Like as of now in your reality and mine, we perceive everything without our bodies naturally producing LSD, so that atoms within us which is why we exist and give rise to thought creates our realm of reality which consists of a time.

Again this is just an opinion, I'm no more right or wrong then you are.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:17 am
We defline time in two ways, the physicist's way and the phenomenological way: change and memory.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:27 am
@JLNobody,
I define time as the measurement of activity.
Razzleg

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 01:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
JLNobody wrote:

We define time in two ways, the physicist's way and the phenomenological way: change and memory.

cicerone imposter wrote:

I define time as the measurement of activity.

These two statements seem to harbor a certain non-exclusive, complementary aspect.

cicerone imposter wrote:

Time is what provides us with our past, present, and future.

Sure, but P,P, and F are merely the categories with which we try to put our memories into order...and describe change as an orderly process.

Memory, process, and history are both fascinating...and dodgy. While we are all too aware of time, perhaps its "definition", rightfully, eludes us. Temporality may not be a phenomenon, perhaps it is a perpetually ambiguous condition.

0 Replies

void123

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 06:07 pm
@tcis,
the subjective experience of impermanence
JLNobody

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 06:24 pm
@void123,
Very good, Void. That is the heart of the Buddhist experience. Even being, which seems static, is best named, in the Zen perspective, "being-time" because all things are constantly changing, impermanent. Even "structure" which seems to be the opposite or complement of "process" is really only static conceptually. All structures are intrinsically dynamic and mortal.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 06:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Do you agree with somebody here who defined the categories of past/present/future as attempts to lend order to the process of time?
void123

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 10:26 pm
@JLNobody,
what do you intend or mean by very good
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 09:35 am
@JLNobody,
Time happens when we are alive. We don't control time; we are the inhabitants of it.

Our past, present, and future are subjective perceptions of our reality. Our perceptions differ by experience and imagination. It's all about our biology and environment.
void123

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 10:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
no its not
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 09:24 am
@void123,
Saying it isn't something and not explaining why is the result of an ignorant, stupid, idiot.
void123

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 10:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
nope
0 Replies